Monday, August 20, 2007

foodie staff party (part 3)

Over the weekend, the 2 staff parties went well. The only bad thing was that outside the temperature was about 38C(100F) and our a/c was overworked with the amount of people in our place at one time so the inside of our place was 33C(91F)--talk about sauna!

We received all kinds of gifts from his staff. In Japan, when you receive a gift like fruit, cake or wine, it is an unwritten rule, but you are supposed to serve it to the people you received it from. When I first encountered this, I was appalled because when you give a gift you don't give it with intentions for receiving or partaking in it.

The other week we received those giant grapes and also some cookies.

Ramen from Kyushu. This is Kumamoto ramen from Maruichi.
Tonkotsu(simmered pork with bones and root veggies) soup base. We had to add our own green onions and yakibuta (roast pork). A delicious treat for the hostess who spent all the time in the kitchen cooking while Satoshi ate and drank with his staff. (I think the 8 of them drank about a case of beer and they were all women!)

Petits Gateaux Assortis, which I think means assortment of petite cakes from Henri Charpentier. These were so cute! I just can't imagine buttering these tins. Pictured are the madeleine (plain), pyramid (orange peel), madeleine au te (earl grey), financier au chocolat (chocolate), and praline (cake with praline paste and amaretto). Delicious!

And a semi-tropical bouquet of flowers.

There was lots of laughter, lots of drinking and lots of eating. I think everyone enjoyed themselves.

Hopefully the temperature will go down, I water my plants twice a day now and in the morning they are still kind of limp.

Take care and have a nice week.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

I love the gift giving philosophy. At least you wouldn't receive anything they were trying to palm off because they didn't like it.

K and S said...

There are some people who do "recycle" things that they receive, but it is rare, Barbara.

Thanks for stopping by, take care.
Kat

ilingc said...

Hmm. I generally share what I get (if it's a food) with friends, but that's just me. I think I'd be pretty annoyed if I had to share it with others just because they gave it to me.

The ramen looks delicious! I've heard Kyushu is a must for ramen lovers. Pity I didn't get to go last time. :(

Hope the temperature gets better over there. :)

Kathy YL Chan said...

100F! I'll be fanning an imaginary fan for you! :)
Early grey madelines...you've going the wheels in my brain turning!!

K and S said...

I can't really tell the difference between the types of ramen, but there are connoiseurs out there, Ilingc. You should try to come back during autumn when ramen eating will be perfect :)

Appreciate the fan, Kathy! I hope you try earl grey madeleines soon!

Take care you two.
Kat