Friday, August 17, 2007

o-haka mairi

Yesterday Satoshi had the day off so we decided to do ohaka mairi (visit the graves of his ancestors), since it is the end of O-bon (the season to visit your ancestors graves).

We got up at our "normal workday" time and left for Shiga Prefecture, which is about an hour and a half by train. The weather was sunny--HOT and very HUMID. Our first stop was Nagahama. We visited here last year to do ohaka mairi and I posted about that here.

Since then, they have renovated the station and have this huge stained glass.






There were many utsusemi (shells of the released cicada) on the graves which was actually kind of creepy.









And also this little guy was hanging around the gravestone.

From Nagahama, we went to Hikone. We prayed for Satoshi's mother's ancestors here and then had lunch at a cafe called Milk House. They specialized in Mediterranean food and wine.

We each had a plate of appetizers (smoked mackerel, brook trout fritter, octopus carpaccio and tuna carpaccio).

Satoshi had the seafood pasta.

I had their homemade bacon with tomato pasta.

And we each had an assorted dessert plate (grapfruit gelatin, chestnut cake, coffee gelatin, and pannacotta).

After eating a big, delicious lunch, we walked back to Hikone station. Walking down the street was kind of like taking a trip to old Japan. There were many wooden signs.

Like this pachinko parlor, the top half of the building is modern, but the bottom half is maintaining the theme of the town.









There were also these cute tiles all over the place.

It is the "world series" of high school baseball now, many teams from around Japan play-off to enter this event. This event happens every spring and summer. Summer's games are a bigger deal than the spring. The whole town kind of stops to watch their team play and the team get lots of attention--like this team from Shiga.

From Hikone, we went to Kyoto to visit Satoshi's father's ancestor's graves.

We decided to take a taxi since we were in no mood to stand in a crowded bus. The line was long for the taxi. But, still moved rather quickly.

The taxi driver we had, had zero personality (he didn't even answer us when we told him where we were headed, but could stop and shout out to his friend to go drinking!), plus he smelled REALLY stinky. BLAH! Thank goodness the ride wasn't too long!

I noticed on many of the graves that families have their mon (crest) on the container that holds the candles. Satoshi's family crest is the chigai kashiwa (different oak).

As we were making our way down from the cemetery to catch the bus, we were lucky to come upon a taxi with a very personable driver. After chatting with the driver, we caught the train and made it back to Osaka. (What a hot, sticky day! I think they said it was 37C(98.6F) in Osaka.) It definitely felt hotter, almost like when you stick your hand in the oven to take something out.

We bought ourselves some Nagahama beer, made by the Nagahama Romanticist Beer Company.

I got their stout--a smoky dark beer and Satoshi got their Weitzen (he didn't let me taste it! must have been good!)

It was a very long, sizzling day and a very long post, but at least we got to do all the things we set out to do, and they say today will be even hotter...oh, boy!

Milk House
3-5-46 Kyomachi
Hikone, Shiga
Phone: 0749-22-1676
Lunch: 11:30-14:00
Dinner: 18:00-21:00
Closed on Wednesdays

20 comments:

2kamuela47 said...

Kat,

You had an interesting day. I have yet to attend O-bon dance. I have some friends that attend most of the Oahu events. I even have a friend that is learning how to play the O-bon drums...I'm not sure what you call those drums

I'm so inspired by reading your blog that I have been taking pictures of the restaurants that I go to and I post them on my blog. I forgot to take pictures at Hee Hing in Kapahulu when I was there the other week but I did post about it.

Have a great weekend! Take care and God Bless. Laura

K and S said...

Thanks Laura! The drums are called taiko. I'm glad you've started to post about your eats. Will check it out.

Take care.
Kat

OkiHwn said...

Your lunch looks awesome!

OkiHwn said...

Speaking about taiko drums, go to the Okinawan Festival at Kapiolani Park Aug. 31 to Sept. 3 - I think. Gonna have Okinawa taiko drummers. Don't know the schedule though. Hopefully I'll be there to see it myself.

K and S said...

Thank Nate, I've never been home during the Okinawan Festival, but would like to see what it is like one day, especially since I have Okinawan roots.

When are you going home?

Take care.
Kat

OkiHwn said...

Going to start trying next weekend, the 25th. Hoping missions appear that will be going to Hickam. But probably be on the 29th. as that is the day for a "regular" Medevac flight from Kadena to Hickam.

K and S said...

I hope you get your first choice, Nate! I know how much you are looking forward to going home :)

Enjoy!

Take care.
Kat

OkiHwn said...

The "little guy" was a visiting person. I believe that!

K and S said...

Nate, I believe that about all "little guys" too. :)

Take care.
Kat

p.s. I'm melting!

OkiHwn said...

There's also the "happenings" with babies. My granddagughter when very young would stare at and "talk baby talk" and smile and laugh to the wall in her room. I believe it was my father. And then later after I was over here, my daughter would say my granddaughter would look out the window and say "There's GG's (that's me)DaDa. Guess it was my father coming back to check on his great granddaughter. But my granddaughter never saw my father. He passed away over 15 years ago.

Kathy YL Chan said...

The desserts looks super cute, I love mini tasting portions, that way you can have a bit of everything without missing out on anything, heehee! :)

K and S said...

that is amazing, Nate! I think children have the ability to see people from the other world way more than adults do.

I agree, Kathy, tasting mini portions is great :)

Take care you two.
Kat

OkiHwn said...

Check out the new links from maona I put on my blog - Foodnista and cheap eats. Good!

K and S said...

I saw them on Maona too, good stuff!

Take care, Nate!

Kat

SteamyKitchen said...

That stained glass is gorgeous!

K and S said...

I bet that stained glass cost a lot too :)

Take care Jaden!
Kat

ilingc said...

That stained glass looks gorgeous and so did your lunch that day.

Kat,
I hope you don't mind me asking, but I'm curious about the family crests. How does a family determine what/which crest/symbol should represent the family? I saw lots of family crests at Himeji castle and was amazed by the number of them but no one could tell me how they decide on a crest.

Did the founding ancestor of the particular family selected the symbol and passed it down to each generations?

K and S said...

Thanks Ilingc!

The family crest is usually passed down from generation to generation. I've heard that unwed women take their mother's family crest until they marry, then they take their husband's family crest. The crest usually originates from the area which the family is from and was sometimes determined by the lord or samurai--so some family crests were assigned to them, mostly the peasants.

Hope this explanation helps. I'll email you just in case you don't get a chance to read it here.

Take care and thanks for stopping by.
Kat

Parisbreakfasts said...

I spy CLAMS and can see nothing else...
Except the miniature gateaux!
Adorable

K and S said...

Thanks Carol, everything was delish!

Take care.
Kat