Thursday, August 30, 2007

suzuki shoten

We got these ice candies (popsicles) from Satoshi's staff the other week. (Thank you!)

It was made by Suzuki Shoten (shoten means shop or store). The packaging is very retro looking. They have 4 flavors--banana, calpis, milk and milk kintoki (milk with azuki). Calpis is an interesting drink that kind of looks like watered down milk with a little citrus flavoring but is really sweet.

I did a little surfing and found out that they have been in business for about 60 years and only sell 1100 of these a day. They start selling them at 5:30am and usually sell out within 2 hours! Wow!

The one that is pictured is the calpis, I also read that the banana one has actual slivers of banana in it. I can't wait to try the other flavors!

Suzuki Shoten
3-1-1 Tanaka-cho
Higashinada, Kobe
Phone: 078.431.5744
Closed Tuesdays & Wednesdays
Open from 10:00-16:00 or until everything sells out!

p.s. I forgot to mention that most bars are 60 yen (about US $.60)!

8 comments:

Jann said...

I think you are going to have to go back and try some different flavors~it's pretty remarkable when a business has been around that long~must be good!

K and S said...

Jann,

I just added in the post that most bars are 60 yen (about US$.60) at those reasonable prices, it is no wonder they are popular.

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

What is calpis exactly. I've only ever had it mixed with shochu in a cocktail and it was nice. It's a milk drink right? I seeit all over the place and may as well try and drink one but what do you think of it?

K and S said...

Hi Planethalder,

I surfed around to find an english explanation. check out this link:
Calpico, it is the english version of Calpis. I don't really care for it because it is really sweet, plus the cloudiness of the drink reminds me of milk but milk being watered down.

If you can buy a small bottle then try it, you may like it. If not, mix it with some shochu :)

Take care.
Kat

Tea said...

Oooh, just the mention of Calpis and the back of my teeth begin to ache! That's a flavor you just don't find anywhere else.

I love Japanese popsicles--I miss them. Do you know the one that looks like a slice of watermelon with chocolate "seeds"? That always cracked me up--but yummy.

Thanks for the memories!

K and S said...

I saw that on Slashfood, but I've never seen it here, should look for it.

Thanks for the tip, Tea!

Thanks for stopping by and take care.
Kat

SteamyKitchen said...

that looks so refreshing!!

i love Calpis

K and S said...

You would love these bars Jaden!

Thanks for stopping by, take care.
Kat