Thursday, February 21, 2008

bws cafeteria

My blog friend, Nate, had posted about the BWS Cafeteria awhile back. (BWS stands for Board of Water Supply, by the way.)

Since he's back in the Islands now, we met up there for lunch yesterday.

Just park in the back of the office--the building with the fountain out front on Beretania Street. (Parking is FREE) and check in at the desk. You'll need to show ID, so don't forget something with a photo on it. They'll give you a badge and then you're on your way.

Take the retro looking elevator to the 4th floor and you'll be in the Employee cafeteria.

This cafeteria has many tables and chairs, there is no air conditioning, but you don't need it.

Two guys run the place (whom I understand are brothers). Check out the menu on the wall and be prepared to order, when someone comes out of the kitchen, that's your chance to order. Don't expect to rush in and rush out with your food, they cook mostly everything after you order it.

When your order comes out, pay for it. I loved watching the guy ring it up on the old fashioned cash register, he actually had to punch in the numbers then turn a crank to "ring" it up.

Nate and I tried the ox tail soup (US $7.50). This was the most expensive item on the menu. (They also have breakfast and sandwich items starting from US $2.) It came with rice and tsukemono (pickled veggies). A hearty, rich broth scented with star anise. Chunks of ox tail that are so tender it falls off the bone. I hadn't had this in ages! and was happy with this choice. Nate says he prefers his own version with daikon and mushrooms.

When you're done eating, bring your plates and trays back to the kitchen.

Not many know about this place, it isn't fancy, the water comes out of the water fountain next to the register, but if you want a good meal, at a nice price, this is the perfect hideaway!

BWS Cafeteria
630 S. Beretania Street 4th Floor
Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone:808.748.5977
Open M-F 8:00-14:00 (except State and Federal holidays)

UPDATE: Nate passed away so his posts are no longer accessible.

13 comments:

OkiHwn said...

Kat - Very nice post! And not that I didn't enjoy the oxtail. It was pretty good!

K and S said...

Sorry, Nate! guess I misunderstood you. :0

Take care.
Kat

bourgogne said...

love those secret places! especially if they have antique cash registers. :D

Rowena said...

Ahhhh....gagagaga! (Sorry Kat, I saw the words oxtail soup and I was done for). Sounds so ONO!!!!

Chibog in Chief said...

now i know where to eat in case i'll be in hawaii..:-)

Thistlemoon said...

This is so much fun sharing your trip to Hawaii with you!

K and S said...

aren't they the best, Bourgogne?

Thanks Rowena, it was :)

I hope you get to come to Hawaii soon, Dhanggit :)

I'm so glad you are enjoying this vacation, Jenndz.

Take care everyone.
Kat

Monique said...

Sounds like a fun place to have lunch, an employee cafeteria that's not reserved for employees only. I love oxtail and oxtail soup reminds me of the one my mom makes, yummy!

K and S said...

I bet your mom's version is yummy too, Monique!

Take care.
Kat

OkiHwn said...

Hey Kat - been back to the BWS Cafeteria a couple times. After dropping off my daughter at the State Capitol for her job so I can use the car.

Ate a Loco Moco one day and a Teriyaki Steak on another trip. Will be posting when I getabck to Okinawa.

K and S said...

Too bad you couldn't get to use the car more (your car!!), Nate.

Can't wait to see your post on the other items you tried.

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

I love hidden places like this. Thanks so much. I want to go out and try it now.

K and S said...

I hope you like it, Doodoolicious! Just remember to bring a photo i.d.!

Take care.
Kat