Tuesday, February 26, 2008

sam choy's blc

Saturday morning the sky was clear, no clouds and the air was crisp. It looked like the makings of a beautiful sunrise.

We met some of my aunties and uncles at Sam Choy BLC (Breakfast, Lunch & Crab) for breakfast.

Every year about this time, my aunty on the mainland sends some monies to another aunty for my dad's birthday breakfast. (Thank you!)

I was surprised at how slow business was there and how high prices have gone. I had the fried rice with 2 eggs (US $6.50 + tax). The fried rice has pretty much everything in there (spam, lup cheong, char siu, kamaboko, green onion). This dish was really filling and delicious. It was nice to be able to take my leftovers home. (In Japan, they don't have "doggie bags", for fear of food poisoning complaints.)

It was nice to be able to visit with some of my relatives on this trip home, while celebrating my dad's birthday.

Sam Choy's BLC : UPDATE 2013, this restaurant is no longer in business
580 N. Nimitz Highway
Honolulu
Phone: 808.545.7979

10 comments:

SteamyKitchen said...

I just borrowed Sam Choy's cookbook from the library!

K and S said...

Happy Cooking Jaden!

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

That's an interesting fact - I had no idea that they don't have doggie bags in Japan! I guess that wouldn't bother me though, the food there looks so good - I'd easily eat it all up still wanting more. :)

K and S said...

some of the portions there are so small, you'd definitely have no need for a doggie bag, Lori :0

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Interesting note about the doggie bag "non-practice" in Japan. I would never have thought of it like that but it makes sense especially if you're serving raw fish? Anyway, glad to get an idea of what to have for breakfast! How I miss fried rice and a big humungous omelette!

bourgogne said...

now that's my kind of breakfast. big portions are a must.

K and S said...

Fried rice Rowena, fried rice :)

I miss big portions in Japan too, Bourgogne!

Take care you two.
Kat

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - Good to know BLC is still there - $6.50 doesn;t sound too bad - I just paid(don't ask me why) $10 for shrimp fried rice, take-out. That tidbit about no doggie-bags in Japan is interesting, who'd have thunk?

OkiHwn said...

Certain places in Okinawa will give you the little disposal bento plastic box for leftovers.

K and S said...

Oh my, Kirkk, $10 for fried rice, I hope you enjoyed it :)

You guys are lucky on Okinawa, Nate!

Take care you two.
Kat