Friday, February 22, 2008

hawaii eats...and shops...

Thursday, I met Nate at Chinatown. It was an amazing adventure, looking at all the different kinds of fish, meats and produce. Most of the stores around Chinatown are of East Asian roots, so you can find pretty much everything you need to cook Thai, Vietnamese and Chinese dishes.
We visited Nate's cousin's shop on Hotel Street, and there he picked up some things to bring back with him to Okinawa. We also checked out some other shops where he picked up more things to bring back with him.
Lunch was at Eastern Food Center, I had the Gau Gee Noodle Soup (US $4.50), a rich, salty broth with Gau Gee, Choi Sum and Hong Kong style noodles (kind of stiff, but I like it that way, better than soggy) was just enough food for me.

Thanks for taking me around Nate, it was a fun, foodie adventure!

15 comments:

OkiHwn said...

Nice!

K and S said...

Thanks again for taking me around, Nate! I had fun. Hope you got everything you need to take back for your stay in Okinawa!

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

My goodness you've done more on your visit home than I think I've done maybe ever!

And thanks for the BWS tip. I've done work with the board for almost 10 years now and never knew about the cafeteria.

K and S said...

Thanks Myra, this trip is quite productive, if I do say so myself :) I hope you also get a chance to try the cafeteria @ BWS.

Take care.
Kat

2kamuela47 said...

Glad you both you and Nate are enjoying your trip back home. I just love your foodie adventures. Take care!

K and S said...

Thanks Laura!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Sigh...love this post! I called my dad the other day to say that I was thinking of visiting in May and what does he say????? "You visiting so soon?" And I wonder where I get my smarty pants attitude from. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Eastern Food Center...I love their roast duck! I can never make it home without sneaking some from the container. :)

K and S said...

Thanks Rowena! You're dad is so cute. I'm so happy you'll be able to come home soon!

Lori, I actually had a piece from Nate's roast duck look fun soup and it was awesome! People were coming to buy roast duck and they had run out while we were there.

Take care you two.

KirkK said...

Hey Kat - You've really made the most of your vacation. So nice of Nate to take you around - nothing like a knowledgeable guide.

K and S said...

Thanks Kirkk! Nate knows a lot about the shops that used to be in Chinatown too.

Take care.
Kat

Barbara said...

Great picture essay Kat. I smiled to think of your father and his frustration with the soup spoons and bowls.

K and S said...

Thank you Barbara! Yes, he was quite frustrated with the spoons and bowls. :0

Take care.
Kat

Tamakikat said...

Hi GF,

glad to see you're eating well.

I'm doing a lot of walking to try counteract the eating. Hopefully it's helping some.

So looking forward to seeing you in April.

Till then:)

K and S said...

Can't wait until our eating adventures begin in April, Tamakikat!

See you soon.
Kat