Wednesday, April 19, 2006

surprise!!


Since most of us “kids” come home during the Christmas holidays, the party was in its planning stages since September of 2005.

My Aunty M1 did most of the planning and created a wonderful slide show, my Aunty M helped with invitations and other details. My mom helped by baking all the cookies for the “goodie bags” and helped to bring my Grandma to the party.

This was the "goodie bag", assorted cookies in a "jubako" (lacquered box).

The story to my Grandma was that all her grandkids (the 4 of us) were coming home to help her celebrate. Little did she know that some of her relatives and extended family members were also invited. (Satoshi was also able to fly in the day before the party.)

The party was held at Kyo-ya. This is a Japanese restaurant that has been in business since 1958. The restaurant, which looks like a tea house in Japan, was renovated in 1991 and is a very popular place for parties and other gatherings.

We all got to the restaurant before 6:00pm and waited to surprise her. She was speechless. We were amazed that she didn’t have an inkling as to what we were up to. (I think she was almost going cry! I know I was!) She was happy to see her relatives and friends. It was sad that her younger sister couldn't make the trip over...

Our first course was the tako sunomono (octopus in a vinegar/mirin sauce), sansai (mountain vegetation—warabi (fiddle heads), kinoko (mushrooms), takenoko (bamboo shoots)

Next came the sashimi (sliced raw fish)—I think there was some maguro (tuna), and hamachi? or tai (?? or snapper ). The fish was so fresh and delicious!!

Entrees were grilled butterfish and a NY steak with garlic chips and a Maui onion steak sauce.

Assorted tempura (fried shrimp and assorted veggies) This was good because they brought it out as soon as it came out of the fryer! And tsukemono (pickled veggies).

Lastly, we had the birthday cake made by Mary-Catherine’s. Now I understand why this bakery charges such high prices! This cake was so light and delicious! And green tea ice cream.

The centerpieces were beautifully done by a relatively new florist called Flower Blooms.

It was a wonderful celebration filled with good food, good conversation and good times!

Kyo-ya
2057 Kalakaua Avenue
Honolulu, Hawaii 96815
Phone: 808-947-3911---->as of 2007, Kyo-ya has since closed for business

Mary-Catherine’s Bakery
2820 South King Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96826
Phone:808-946-4333 --->as of 2012, this bakery is no longer in business

Flower Blooms : Yumiko Yamagami
Around the corner from Minatoya Eye Clinic
Pensacola & King
Phone: 808-597-1189

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kat,

It sounds like it was a lovely and very special celebration. I'm amazed you had the patience to take photos of your magnificent feast, though: it all looks so delicious that I would have been tempted just to eat it right away!

Best birthday wishes to your grandmother!

K and S said...

Hey Tania,

Thanks so much for the birthday wishes, will pass them on to my Gma.

Actually, I forgot a couple of times to take the picture of my food and ended up taking them from Satoshi! ;)

Enjoy the weekend!

Kat

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was definitely a day to remember!! That is so cool your DH was able to fly in and join as well! The food/pictures look awesome, as usual!!

K and S said...

Thanks TM for your nice comments, it was really a nice party!

Kat

Anonymous said...

Dang, the Kyo-ya food looks goooood! I have NEVER gone there and have heard nothing but praise and good words for the cuisine and service.

One day, I swear. One day.

K and S said...

Hi Greggu,

You know, that was my first time at Kyo-ya too. I wish when I was working in Waikiki that vendors or anyone would have taken me there for a lunch meeting, but I guess only the manager class are allowed. ;)

Hope you are enjoying your weekend.

Kat