Friday, May 12, 2006

lavender scones

The other day I posted about lavender scones. I've had a request to share the recipe, so I asked my Aunty M1. She got the recipe from a cookbook called, "Creating an Afternoon to Remember" by Amy Lawrence. Amy Lawrence has a tea room just outside of Sacramento which she and my cousin, D went to last year.

Here's the recipe:
Lavender Scones from "Creating an Afternoon to Remember" by Amy Lawrence

3 cups self-rising flour

3/4 cup granulated sugar

1 Tablespoon fresh lavender leaves or ground

1 stick of unsalted butter

1 cup buttermilk

Mix together flour, sugar and lavender.

Use pastry cutter to cut in butter. Mixture should resemble coarse cornmeal.

Add buttermilk and stir. Turnout onto a floured board.

Knead until easy to handle and smooth.

Pat out to 1 inch thick. Cut with a small biscuit cutter.

Bake in preheated 400F oven for 8-10 minutes.

Glaze with a mixture of powdered sugar, milk and vanilla.

Can be stored in a sealed container and reheated in foil.

Makes:15 scones
Hint: Use fresh lavender leaves if possible. They provide a better flavor without bitterness.

Be careful if you use ground lavender not to overdo it. Too much lavender makes the scones bitter and leaves a perfume taste in the mouth.

Note: My Aunty used only 2 teaspoons of culinary lavender.

Have a nice weekend and Enjoy!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kat,
They sound wonderful! I made lavender shortbread one time and I was hooked on the plant ever since!

Journal Actif said...

Thank you for this fine recipe Kat.
It's mother's day this week-end. If I happen to have enough leaves on my "just-starting-to-grow-back" lavender bushes in the garden, I'll make these scone for the Sunday breakfast.
I'm quite sure they'll be divine with a rose jelly... Mmmmm....
I'll let you know.

Tea said...

Wow, these sound delicious. I've never cooked with lavender, must give it a try.

Thanks for your comment on Tea & Cookies--very sweet of you.

K and S said...

ooh lavender shortbread sounds good, Anita!

let me know how your scones turn out, Zoubida!

just be careful not too use too much, Tea.

Thanks for stopping by everyone!

Have a nice weekend.

Kat

Anonymous said...

Glad that you posted the recipe...definitely gotta try this!

K and S said...

Hi Rowena,

Will be waiting to see your scones :)

Kat

Samantha said...

I have made sugar cookies and added a bit of lavender and that was good too. Those sound yummy!

K and S said...

Ooh, that sounds great, Samantha! will have to remember to try that one. Thanks for the tip.

Take care.

Kat