Thursday, August 16, 2007

keeping cool

After reading this on Sue's blog in May, I've been wanting to try her recipe for Bi bim kook soo

2 tablespoons kochujang
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon sugar 
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

I only used her recipe for the sauce and put some bulgogi on top so that it would make this a bit more hearty for dinner. The sauce has just the right amount of zing to it, not to sweet, not too spicy, just right. I would definitely make this again.

A new limited edition beer from Minoh Beer, a local brewery. I've tried their Stout and written about it here

This beer was a bit different though, they used the juices from the cabernet and viognier grapes and then added the hops and stuff to turn it into a beer. 

It smells like wine, tastes like wine with fizz then the wine taste ends with a beer taste. Different indeed!

The other day, I made another batch of Coffee Azuki Gelatin

This time I didn't use condensed milk, I substituted skim milk for it and just let the sweetness come from the an (sweet bean paste).

It was a little bitter, yet refreshing and helped me forget about the heat and humidity if only for a bit.

Hope you are keeping cool/warm (depending on which hemisphere you are in)!

6 comments:

Martin J Frid said...

I'm just north of Tokyo, and we had 40 degrees C today, and I'm not cool/warm: I'm HOT! Thanks for the tips about the drinks. What I need most of all is plenty of water... Maybe ice tea... Beer in the evening...

This is really global warming becoming real to me.

K and S said...

I hear you, Martin, today was one of the hottest days here said the news although everyday is the hottest day. It feels like I am in a oven roasting.
Take care and drink lots of water.

Thanks for stopping by.

Kat

OkiHwn said...

You folks on the mainland are getting baked! We're having our usual high of 32C (90F) here.

K and S said...

Tell me about it Nate, it feels like walking inside of an oven. Even our apartment doesn't cool down and the cold water comes out warm from the tap...blah!

Take care and I'll be thinking of you in your cool apartment :)

Kat

Anonymous said...

Hi..I'm your blog reader from Hawaii. Just wondering, what kind of coffee shall I use to make the coffee gelatin?

K and S said...

Hi Anonymous,

I usually use Lion Coffee, but you can use whatever is your favorite. I find that the flavored coffees add a sweet aroma to the gelatin.

Hope the recipe turns out for you.
Thanks for stopping by and take care.

Kat