Sunday, September 23, 2007

cosmos no sato



Today we went to our all time favorite place for cosmos, no not the drink, the flower--Cosmos no sato.

I can't exactly remember how we found this place, but it has never disappointed, and we've visited almost every year since.

From Ikeda station, we took a bus towards Yono. The bus goes up into the mountains and all the winding roads that come with it. And about an hour later, we got off at Myokenguchi.

From the bus stop, we walked a bit (about 5 minutes). From the road you'll be able to see it---an ocean of pink, red and white.

I think this place is run by several families. Admission is 500yen (about US$5.00) for adults, 300 yen (about US $3.00) for children. Pack a lunch or snacks and make a day of it (just remember to bring all your trash home with you, there aren't trash cans or places that serve food there).

Today, the weather was really humid and overcast, so there wasn't the cheery feel and crisp air that there usually is when we visit.

Today was also O-higan (the autumn equinox) when families visit their ancestor's graves. It is about this time that you can also see Higan-bana, a red flower that pops up at the edges of the rice fields--kind of like a reminder for the day and for your ancestors.

There was also chestnut trees bursting with chestnuts.

They even had some for sale at the entrance.

After taking in all the beautiful cosmos, we took the bus back down to Ikeda and had lunch at Ikeda ramen. It was our first time here and we were surprised at how popular the place was--there was a line.

Satoshi had their dashi-aji(stock flavor)--a rich pork broth.

I had their tori-aji (chicken flavor)--a rich chicken broth.

I didn't particularly like this place because the soup was too heavy feeling--although I have a feeling it was because the day was so humid and I was still feeling a bit woozy from the bus ride.

I guess we need to go back again to give this place a fair shot.

Cosmos no Sato
Toyono-cho Maki
Toyono-gun, Osaka-fu
Phone: 072.739.1363

Ikeda Ramen (UPDATE: 2014 no longer in business)
3-1 Sugahara-cho Station N Building 1F
Ikeda, Osaka
Phone: 072.751.1148
Open 11:00-23:00

7 comments:

obachan said...

I think I've heard of Cosmos no sato, but never had a chance to visit. Thanks a mil. for sharing beautiful photos (incl. ramen). :D

Kat said...

Hi Kat! I love your flower photos. When I was in Japan it was sakura season but there were also other flowers in bloom. I'm always amazed when I see the different type of foliage growing in different areas of the world. Pretty much having spent all my life in Hawaii I'm used to tropical flowers and such so I love seeing something new!

K and S said...

You are very welcome, Obachan. I hope you get a chance to visit soon!

Thank you Kat! After living in Hawaii all my life, I was also surprised at the very different flowers and such around Japan.

Take care you two.
Kat

nordwolke said...

Cosmos! Kosmea in German. Such a beautiful flower. Your flower pics remind me that I need to make a few postings on my Tree Of Life Blog again ... Maybe in autumn/winter?

K and S said...

Thank you Beadexplorer. I look forward to your posts!

Take care.
Kat

Chef Jeena said...

What beautiful flowers you have in Japan. I enjoyed reading your post thanks. :)

K and S said...

I'm glad you like them. Thanks for stopping by, Jeena!

Take care.
kat