Wednesday, September 26, 2007

jugoya

Yesterday in the shopping arcade there was a long line for these cute dango (dumplings/cakes). They are called tsukimidango (moon watching cakes). The dumplings are tear drop shaped and covered with an (sweet bean paste)--the green one is yomogi (mugwort).

Jugoya, literally the 15th night, marks the 15th day of the 8th lunar month of the Chinese calendar (which is usually mid or late September for our calendar). In China, it is called the Moon Festival and is celebrated with their famous moon cakes.

In Japan, the elite would gather beneath the full moon to write poems and drink sake, while farmers would pray to the moon to ensure good crops.

During this time, you can see many flower arrangements using susuki (pampas grass) and hagi (bush clover). In some homes, the susuki along with dumplings and vegetables are offered to the moon to pray for a good harvest. It is also thought that praying or making wishes upon the full moon at this time would help to make them come true.

I know what I'm wishing for...What did you wish for? (well, don't tell me, otherwise it won't come true!)

10 comments:

Michèle said...

How interesting! And it sounds lovely to sit under the moon writing poems and drinking sake. I would definitely enjoy spending an evening doing that ;) Which of those dumplings do you prefer?

K and S said...

I like the white one Michele. My husband loves the green one.

Thanks for stopping by. Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Very cool post on the cultural practices there. But what I'm definitely salivating over are those moon watching cakes! Kat, those are interesting, and here I thought there were only moon cakes to be found. Lucky, lucky you!

P.S. I see that you could empathize with my pc woes ;-) The funny thing is that my neighbor said it was pretty good that the pc lasted for 4 years before giving out!

K and S said...

Thanks Rowena!

You are so lucky to have a PC dude next door! Whenever something goes wrong with our computer, I have to try to figure it out for myself since my hubby doesn't like to read the manuals.

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Hi there you have a great blog,lovely recipes. Feel free to visit my blog too :)

Jeena xx

click here for food recipes

K and S said...

Thanks Jeena and thanks for stopping by.

Take care.
kat

ilingc said...

*Last one! I promise!*

OMG. I forgot it was moon festival until I saw this. Do the kids in Japan get to play with little red lanterns too?

K and S said...

Not that I know of Ilingc!

Thanks for stopping by.

Take care.
Kat

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Isn't it wonderful that we share the same full moon halfway around the world. I'm just learning about the Moon Festival...and now you've educated me on the Japanese version :) Hope your wish comes true~

K and S said...

it is amazing how we are all connected Lizzy :)

Take care.
Kat