Saturday, May 29, 2010

foodie friday in nishinomiya

Yesterday Satoshi had the day off so for lunch we went to check out Awajishima Burger, which my blog friend, Rona highly recommended.

Apparently, this place is very popular, in fact, when we arrived at 11 (their opening time), they were already busy putting together several telephone orders.

The shop is very small, with seats for 6--max.

The counter was a bit too high for me to eat from but I made do.

I ordered the regular with bacon and cheese 500 yen + 100 yen + 100 yen (about US$7) and a side order of onion rings 150 yen (about US$1.50). This burger also came with grilled onions, lettuce and tomato and a teriyaki-type sauce.

The burger was huge, juicy. The bacon, thick and more like ham but with a little glaze on it.

At first, I was a bit overwhelmed by the size of it and didn't know how to go about eating it.

Definitely not someplace to eat at on your "first date" (be prepared to get sauce on your face).
Satoshi also ordered a regular (he was tempted to order the large but I talked him out of it) with an over easy egg and onion ring 500 yen + 100 yen + 100 yen (about US$7) and a side order of fries 150 yen (about US$1.50). This burger was massive! Satoshi also had a hard time eating it. The fries were a bit soft, would've enjoyed them more if they were crisp.

We both had bottled cokes 150 yen each (about US$1.50), it had been some time since we'd had soda, but it was fun drinking from the bottle.

The owner prides his burgers on Awajishima's (Awaji Island) beef as well as their onions and tomatoes. The buns are made daily and reminded me of sweet bread or brioche. I think the onion rings were also made from the Awaji Island onions (yum!).

The onions from Awaji Island are the best, sweet like Vidalia!

FYI: Awajishima (Awaji Island) is an island off of mainland Japan (Honshu) and is part of Hyogo prefecture.

These burgers were good, really messy but good! (Thanks for another great tip, Rona!)

When we left, the other 4 seats were filled and there were several people waiting outside.

We then checked out 808 Kitchen (around the corner), a grocer specializing in fruits and veggies.

I purchased a bag of red bell peppers grown in Kochi (a prefecture in Shikoku) for 150 yen (about US$1.50) (In my opinion, Kochi has the best red bell peppers, though they are usually small).
We were quite full but wanted to have a cup of coffee, so we walked back towards the Hankyu Nishinomiya-Kitaguchi station.

On the way we saw this SUV with Hamann written on it and a Mini with grey British flags on the side mirrors.

We stopped at Nishinomiya Gardens located next to the station and had lukewarm lattes with cute art at Cafe Bon...650 yen (about US$6.50) each.

Despite the lattes, it was a great day, lots of walking and lots of good food. Have a nice weekend.

Awajishima Burger (near the Nishinomiya Higashi-chiho Oroshishijo)
4-1 Ikeda-cho
Nishinomiya, Hyogo
Phone: 080.3036.4373
Closed Wednesdays, Open from 11:00-20:00

808 Kitchen
4-24 Ikeda-cho
Nishinomiya, Hyogo
Phone: 0798.37.1220

Cafe Bon
Nishinomiya Gardens 4F
14-2 Takamatsu-cho
Nishinomiya, Hyogo
Phone: 0798.61.0089
Open 11:00-23:00

14 comments:

Rona Y said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I used to get my burger with ketchup instead of the house-made barbeque sauce. I like ketchup on my burgers. And I can't believe Satoshi got egg and onion rings on it! I can't imagine how he managed to eat it! I used to see people do the squish thing, but that just makes it messier!

Now you just have to eat at Ashiya Burger, and let me know which one has the best burger--Awaji, Yokoji, or Ashiya. :-) I never made it to Ashiya Burger since it was even more out-of-the-way for me than the other places(http://www.ashiya-burger.com/ ), so I'm living vicariously through you!

K said...

Yum, burgers! I'm sure I'll be eating my share during this weekend (US- Memorial Day weekend). Too bad the lattes weren't good- they certainly look adorable!

Jenster said...

Kat, those burgers looked ono! When I order a burger that large, I usually end up cutting it in half so it fits more easily in my mouth, or I just pick it up by the wrapper, remind myself that my clothes are washable, and go for it. ;-)

Those lattes seemed pretty pricy, especially since they were only lukewarm. Is it fairly easy in Japan to complain about something like that and have them make you another one? And is that an average price for lattes?

K and S said...

Messy it was Rona! He had sauce mixed with egg on his tray! Will keep Ashiya burger on my list and go when we get a chance :) (we still gotta try the pizza places you told me about!) Thanks again!

I know K! we were bummed that they were hot, they definitely were cute!

I wished we were able to cut them Jenster, no utensils, just lots of napkins. I've never seen anyone complain about food/drinks, I think it isn't the norm. As for price, I think what we paid was a little higher than average. The least I've paid was about US$5.

Take care everyone!
Kat

Japan Australia said...

Looks like a great burger. Surprisingly Japan has a lot of good burger places if you skip the typical fast food option.

Unknown said...

Those lattes look nice, but I've always wondered how those artsy ones taste since the shots sit around in the mug too long sometimes.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Mmm...those burgers look so thick, juicy and delicious and now I want some onion rings... ;-)

K and S said...

I think you are right Japan Australia :)

Most latte art cups I've tasted were at least hot, Rick, I think this one was sitting on the counter awhile too.

Hope you get some onion rings Debinhawaii :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

KirkK said...

Hey Kat - That looks like a nice juicy.... and pretty good sized burger!

K and S said...

It was nicely sized for the price Kirk :)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Messy enormous burgers...sounds all great and perfect for some walking around later. Certainly not a place to wear white either (I always manage to stain my shirt front whenever I wear white).

K and S said...

You and Satoshi are buds when it comes to wearing white Rowena, which is why I never buy white for him anymore ;)

Take care.
Kat

kirbie said...

The lattes are soo cute! I dont think I'd be able to drink one.

K and S said...

I was that way in the beginning Kirbie :)

Take care.
Kat