Thursday, May 06, 2010

dinners

The weather is getting warmer so we probably won't be drinking much red wine after this bottle, but I wanted to share with you this Cono Sur's Organic Cabernet Sauvignon/Carmenere. We liked the spiciness of this wine.

It went nicely with steak and veggies.

I tried Anchor's Bock Beer the other night. I liked the smokiness of this beer. It went nicely with the following foods...

A cajun shrimp and corn salsa/relish salad. I used a salt-free cajun spice mix and coated the shrimp. In a non-stick pan, I cooked the shrimp with a little olive oil.

For the corn salsa/relish, I cut up a jalapeno, added a can of corn (drained), some zuccini, half a yellow bell pepper, 4 mini tomatoes,a little onion and squeezed this sudachi.

Sudachi is a type of lime here. I also added some tablespoons of pre-made salsa.

On a side note, the price of veggies has really gone up. I think they were asking 350 yen (about uS$3.50) for a teeny bunch of red leaf.

I ended up picking up some ruccola instead because it was only 99 yen (about US$.99) a package. The ping-pong sized sudachi was 158 yen (about US$1.58).

The beer also went nicely with some okonomiyaki style konnyaku (devil's tongue jelly). Rinse and cut up konnyaku (about 130 grams), dry.

Sautee the konnyaku in some oil and when it is heated through top with some katsuo bushi, mayo and aonori (green laver). This is a very low calorie dish while still making you feel full.

What have you been enjoying for dinner?

5 comments:

jalna said...

Mmmm . . . looks yummy!

Lindsay-Jean said...

Ooh that organic wine was my go-to standard while we were in Japan! I've been too busy catching up with microbrews though to see how easy it is find here. Take care!

K and S said...

I noticed they have a sparkling wine Linny, which I am eagerly seeking out :)

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Mmm...some yummy dinners. ;-)

The sparkling version of the wine would be good I bet.

K and S said...

Thanks Debinhawaii, if I find that sparkling version I will virtually share :)

Take care.
Kat