Friday, August 11, 2006

in search of viognier

Do you know what Viognier is? I didn't at first. But after coming across it in the Australia Gourmet Traveller, then checking on the internet, I found out it was a type of grape. In the same magazine there was also a little ad for Yalumba wines. They are a South Australian wine maker which makes a Viognier wine and it had a very nice sounding review. I made a note of it in my foodie journal and pretty much forgot about it.

Then as I was surfing the net the other day, I checked the gourmet supermarket's site that I sometimes go to. They had the Yalumba wines on sale! and also had the Viognier advertised.

The next day, I rushed to the store that I sometimes go to nearby....no luck. The day after that, I went to another one in the same chain, a couple of stations away...again, no luck. Then yesterday, I went to a larger store in the same chain, yet farther away and they had it! (yeah!) I found out that these are in the Yalumba "Y" Series, which according to their site means that these are the ones they export.

I bought the 2005 Viognier and the 2004 Shiraz Viognier (a blend of Shiraz and Viognier). I hope these were worth the hunt!

Oh, and have you ever wanted something to remember the name of the wine you drank? Yalumba has a great thing on the back of their bottles. Not only does it tell the year and name of wine, but there is also the website address. Just peel this guy off and glue it into your foodie journal or schedule and your all set!

Enjoy the weekend!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT idea to have the little peel-off sticker! That would solve my problem of always trying to pull off the label! I have to make a note of this wine...always good to have something new to try.

K and S said...

Hi Rowena,
Isn't this sticker cool?? Wish more wineries would do something like this. And you are right, making notes of what others are trying is a good way to try new things. ;)
Have a great weekend.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Hi Kat
I love Viognier. The Shiraz/Viognier blend has become quite popular in NZ and Australian wines. The white Viognier grapes add another layer of flavour to the red shiraz.

K and S said...

Hi Barbara,
Thanks for your thoughts on this type of wine. I really appreciate it! Can't wait to try these.
Kat