Saturday, August 17, 2019

update

Friday, some "me" time...I went to see this movie...(photo from wikipedia)


It was my first time in an IMAX theatre where the chairs reclined (glad I was the first one in the theatre so I could take some photos).



Late lunch...Tanioka's ahi patty musubi.

Dinner was a solo pupu party (boiled peanuts & mochiko chicken from Tanioka's, salad, ume arare & Waikiki Brewing's black strapp molasses porter)

When you first open the can, you can really smell the molasses.

Saturday, lunch with BFF and friend S at Assagio's...meatball sandwich (Thanks for lunch W)

It was nice spending some time with S and W.

Dinner was at the PC Bon Dance with Val...this was at the church that my mom used to be a member of.

Their congregation is getting older and smaller, so it was sad to see how little baked goods they had to sell and how small the crowd for the Bon Dance was.

Dinner was chili rice and some andagi.

Sunday, dinner at Aunty M's was an assortment of pupus and salad.

It was nice to see Aunty's friends, MJ and BJ.

Monday, the photographer and the realtor came to take photos of the house.

While the photographer took photos of the exterior of the house, the realtor and I opened the windows, shades, turned on the lights, prepping for the interior shots.

10 minutes or so and they were done.

Lunch was from The Elephant Shack, this time around I tried the Yum Pla...fried fish tossed in fresh chili-lime jus with cilantro, red onions, scallion, grape tomatoes served w/jasmine rice.

This was so good! The fish had a thin batter and was fried nicely.

I had this for 2 meals.

Wednesday, I have been sleeping in the living room because it has been humid and the living room has the ceiling fan.

Sleeping on the sofa next to a window is not good, especially when your "furry niece" decides to use you as a springboard to look out said window to check out the cats or mongoose?! roaming about outside at 4 a.m.!

And while I thought I was through purging, my brother and I whittled down some of the stuff that was still in the cupboards.

When my mom renovated the house, she definitely built her dream kitchen, filling it with her gadgets and containers.

She also made storage to fit EVERYTHING, so her cupboards went DEEP! and WIDE...she had a LOT of cupboards.

2 counter tops filled with things packed in the backseat and trunk of the car...

The guy working at Salvation Army was snarky, probably having a bad day...yelling at one person donating things to put their items onto the loading dock.

Yelling at me that I should've put everything into boxes because they will get injured because of all the glass items...geez.

Lunch was from Nanding's.

Chicken empanada and macapuno (coconut strings) ensamada.

How have I not known about macapuno?!

Though it is different from desiccated coconut...more gelatinous...a bit too sweet from the syrup the coconut strings are packed in.

Still, I'm glad I got to try it.

The realtor sent the photos of the house, it came out nice, if I do say so.

Since I cannot use the photographer's photos, check out my photos here.

Thursday, the house went on the market.

Open house this Sunday.

After that, the realtor gives us 1 day notice when he has an appointment to show and we need to be cleaned and ready...stress!

A trip to the library to bring in a few more items to donate.

Lunch with Aunty M and Aunty V at Hamada General Store.

When my cousin P saw my post, she commented, "Again? How many times have you been there?"

Yes, if you've been keeping track this is my third time there in the three weeks that this place has been open...

This time around I tried the Fried Ahi Katsu...this had heat, sweet and savory, they should make this into a sandwich!

V, also said she's been here a couple more times after we went last Thursday.

Hope this place will continue to succeed.

Basically this was my week...the humidity as well as the heat are still lingering, though we did get some rain Thursday night.

It's a holiday today, Admissions Day.

Oh, and if you were wondering, that missing troll was spotted in Aunty V's garden (hope this made you smile).

Have a nice weekend.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow your house is nice and big -- best time to sell! When I sold, we had so many people swarming over our property and this was only the Realtor's open. So many ppl desperate for homes but you know the military people with their funding could offer more than the locals. I think the military loans were like 90% financed so no need down much of a down payment. We got I think over $40K over listed. My realtor sold a property in Kuulioo that was list at $700K he got $1.2M - that's how hot the market is. Hope you get really great offers -N

Anonymous said...

Great job cleaning and staging! Good luck!
Aloha, Michelle

Rowena said...

I give you a million props Kat...all that stuff you've been doing!! I thought I was going to have a meltdown last week with the heat and having to cram our stuff and ourselves into the living room while we repainted the bedroom.

KirkK said...

A lot more good grindz Kat. Too bad about the idiot at the Salvation Army; hey, maybe they really don't want the stuff after all? I'd ask the manager about that based on the moron's attitude. Nice that the "Troll" has found a new home....and a nice place to sleep as well!

Anonymous said...

your house is so nice! And, all the cabinet space! I don't have any in my house so everything is piled up everywhere. Perfect example of to each his own.
I once took a box of glass-vases, dishes, etc. to Goodwill on Waialae. The guy there told me they don't take any glass because they could get injured but he said he'd get rid of them for me and took them. so then, how do they get all their glassware to sell is they don't take them??? At least he was nice about it.
Love the troll's set up. So cute.
As always, the food!
v


K and S said...

thanks N!

thanks Michelle!

good luck with your projects Rowena!

aren't you relieved that troll was found, Kirk?!

V at least that guy was nice about taking your glass stuff!

Take care everyone!
Kat

Alan said...

Hi Kat: I know that cleaning out your parents home can be stressful. It was for me back in 2005 when my Dad passed away. My Dad was one of the last Nisei's of our clan, so now I have just a couple of cousins in Hawaii left. I used to go back to Honolulu each year on vacation and to pay my respects at the final resting places of my parents and uncles and aunts. But next year, I think I will vacation someplace else. I am running out of things to do in Honolulu, especially since there is essentially no family left (just some old friends). But as they say, life goes on, and I guess I should expect that.

K and S said...

Hi Alan, I hope you still come back to Hawaii when you can, always nice to catch up with friends.

Take care!
Kat