Saturday, August 03, 2019

update

This week was just as humid and hot as last week.

My furry niece was napping a lot.

My brother too, though he better get with the program and hurry up cleaning his stuff up...grr.

Friday, I had a pupu party for myself (poke, rose, chips and mango).

I've pretty much cleaned all my stuff, and my parents' things up too.

The realtor said he would help get rid of the things that we do not need, but I kind of want to get as much purged or packed away as possible.

So, I'm just waiting for "someone" to finish, so that I can at least vacuum and maybe wipe down stuff before the photographers come in on the 12th.

Saturday lunch with BFF was at Kalapawai in Kapolei...they redeemed their lousy service...whew!

I had their BTA (bacon tomato avocado) on an everything bagel.

It was my first time trying an everything bagel, I loved it!

Then for dinner we went to Rainbow's Pearlridge.

I tried their BBQ burger, which paled in comparison to their BBQ sandwich.

It was my first time trying their slush...love!

We gave my mom's Bernina Round 830 to my Aunty M1 who sews a lot.

I hemmed up my jeans before doing so...gonna miss the "power" of that sewing machine.

Sunday dinner's dessert was a cookie bar made with the pizzelle dough.

The pizzelle maker had some heating issues and the dough was kind of on the sticky side.

I'm pretty sure it was because my Aunty couldn't find Avoset, a type of whipping cream.

We also said goodbye to the pizzelle maker because of those heating issues.

We all reminisced making them back in the day.

I tried Down to Earth's coconut half moon, which was a little dry.

I think it might have been dry due to their use of wheat flour.

I did enjoy that there was a lot of coconut filling inside...I was also excited to hear that after I posted on Instagram that they were dry, they were going to look into it.

This was huge and I had this for two breakfasts.

Sadie's BBQ Inn's small bento...boy this was super filling and a good deal.

Palama Supermarket's kimbap was kind of disappointing, not to mention the price has been creeping up...

Tried ShAloha's falafel sandwich.

So huge! I ate this for two meals.

The falafel outside was crisp while the insides soft.

I loved all the veggies that they put in there, most were pickled.

I want to go back to try some of their other sandwiches.

I also met up with a blog friend, Sheri of Happy Little Bento.

We try to meet up whenever we are both in Hawaii.

We checked out Honolulu Kitchen's (new-ish) Smoothie Shop...I tried their Lemon Mint Soda, super refreshing!

Sheri also shared her mom's homemade gau (chinese style mochi)...so ono (delicious)! I haven't had gau in awhile, my mom used to always make hers for Chinese New Year.

Thursday, Hamada General Store opened.

Apparently this store had been around since 1958 until 2007.

One of our family friend's son, Neil is a chef and one of the partners who helped re-open the space.

They serve breakfast and lunch.

I tried their taco rice.

Huge portions, enough for 2 meals...which is probably why they gave me 2 forks!

I only wish they would add some shredded lettuce and pack the chips separately (soggy!)

The taco meat was very flavorful and a little spicy.

There are other items on their menu that I want to try...I'll be back.

This week there were several trips to Salvation Army as well as one to JCCH (Japanese Culture Center of Hawaii).

At least for me, I am seeing the light at the end of the purging tunnel.

Have a nice weekend, we're having rain since there are two storms nearby.

ShAloha
3133 Waialae Avenue
Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone: 808.744.4222
Mondays-Fridays 10:30-20:30
Saturdays 11:00-20:00
Sundays 10:00-16:00

Honolulu Kitchen Smoothies 
94-861 Farrington Highway
Waipahu, Hawaii
Phone: 808.367.1417
Hours: 8:00-18:00

Hamada General Store
885 Queen Street
Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone: 808.379.1992
Closed Sundays
Hours: 7:00-14:00

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a busy week! Love how you go to all kinds of places to try all kinds of foods, but then, you do this in Japan too!
Glad you have finished your end. Hope someone doesn't expect you to help with his stuff too!
Hate how it's so hot and humid. forecast for next week seems bad-humidity and no winds. ugh.
v

jalna said...

Whoa, you've been busy!! See you soon!

Anonymous said...

Wow thanks for the heads up on Hamada Store - never heard of it but gonna try. Glad to hear the purging is nearing the end. Your realtor should hire a pro cleaner to really clean after y'all leave it empty and depending on your budget painting or touch up can refresh the house THOUGH the house market is still going strong. Great location too, I'm sure you'll sell quickly. Good luck -N

KirkK said...

Nice to know about Hamada Store - used to drop by there every once in a while. You're brother looks pooped....you must be working him too hard! ;O)

K and S said...

the heat and humidity is bad V! hope to go holo holo with you again soon!

Thanks Jalna, see you!

Hope you like Hamada Store N!

Take care everyone.
Kat

K and S said...

Kirk...as for my brother..ha! hope you get to check out Hamada Store the next time you are in town.

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen Avoset jars at the store in ages! I don't think it's made anymore. Was it just heavy whipping cream?
Aloha, Michelle

K and S said...

I cannot even find an image of it online, Mich, I think it was heavy whipping cream, but the key to the recipe was how much was in 1 bottle, would depend on how big the bottle was, yeah?!

Take care.
Kat