Sunday, September 29, 2019

this week

Friday afternoon we had the house inspected and the buyer was scheduled to walk through the property.

We came back after the time that it was all supposed to end, but the family was still there!

It was kind of a weird feeling sitting out front, watching others leave "your" home...

Hopefully the inspection results will be good.

Dinner was later than usual...I bought a pizza from Pieology (the line was krazy!) and tried the porter from Big Island Brewhaus (super chocolatey!)

Saturday, lunch out with BFF W at Taqueria El Ranchero.

First time trying chilaquiles...super spicy and delicious.

I hope W enjoyed her nachos.

Afterwards we made our last run to Paalaa Kai Bakery for the summer.

I picked up a malasada for my Sunday breakfast.

Sunday was super humid (again!)

I ran up to Aunty Kalei's for a cowgirl (POG (passion orange guava), pineapple, strawberry) shave ice and again added lemon peel...so good!

Sunday dinner (our last one for this summer) was at Vein in Kakaako.

Aunty M1 and W1 had their pork chop, which apparently is brined...unfortunately, this was way too salty for them (they think the cook added more salt when grilling).

My brother had their lamb chops...which he said was delicious but just had too little food.

Aunty M and I ordered the catch of the day which was Onaga (red snapper) with a yuzu (citron) beurre blanc (literally white butter) sauce.

Bummer that this fish was overcooked and hard.as.rock.

Since we had "complained" about this and that, dessert was on the house...their bread pudding.

Meh, I've had better...it could have been more custardy...

I'm glad we tried this place and thankful that Aunty M1 and W1 treated all of us...we all hope this restaurant will be able to survive...

Monday...rain, lots of rain...then sun and humidity!

BFF W had taken the day off, so after she did her errands, we had lunch at Big City Diner...$2 for cheese?!

It was still nice to get out even though it was raining.

Tuesday, I went to McCully Stamps & Coin, the owner bought some of the old coins that my parents had collected over the years.

He was so nice and a little TMI (too much info), showing me his lung cancer scar (gasp!)...still, I think he was fair and I'm glad we were able to sell these old coins.

Afterwards, I had intended to go to Target, but when I arrived, everyone in the parking lot warned me that their network was down so they were only taking cash.

Well, network down means that you can't access their app too, so no discounts either...boo! (1st world problems yeah?!)

Oh em gee I am addicted to shave ice with lemon peel...thank goodness Aunty Kalei's is open Tuesday-Thursday and the weekends.

Aloha Salads...hummus pita wrap for lunch

and the Goddess (mixed greens, almonds, papaya, avocado, green goddess dressing) plus I added chicken for dinner.

Wednesday...more rain!

Lunch from Flamingo's Express...I tried their mini teri chicken bento.

Teriyaki sauce a bit too sweet and goopy.

Glad I tried it but probably wouldn't get this again though...

Thursday, lunch with V at Senia.

V loves this place and was kind to take me there.

The chef from the original Vintage Cave, Chris Kajioka and Anthony Rush (from French Laundry) serve creative dishes for lunch and dinner.

We had the 3 course...

Appetizer course...I chose the ham hock terrine...meaty! with a quail egg and puckery tomato sauce delicious!

V had their ahi tataki...she ate a couple of pieces but decided that the texture wasn't for her, so I was lucky to get to finish this for her.

Main course I chose the scallops with risotto and pickled daikon...delicious! nice sear on the scallops, not over cooked...this was nice with the harissa it was served with.

Creamy risotto and nicely pickled daikon.

V had their ahi burger...looks good yeah?!

Dessert course...I chose the carrot cake brown butter mochi...good especially with the cream cheese frosting!

V had the Senia cookie...a warmed peanut butter and chocolate chip cookie topped with vanilla gelato.

It was nice to watch everyone (especially the prep staff) in the kitchen.

Friday, started out with a schnecken from Baker Dudes.

Schneckens (I like saying this word!) are literally snails in German...this was filled with lots of nuts and flaky! Bummed I found out about this place so late but look forward to checking them out the next time I am back.

After a trip to the bank to see if we could cash my parents travelers cheques we found stashed (we need to wait until they get authenticated as the bank the purchased the cheques from do not do business with the company anymore (boo! and they are located in the UK?!))...hopefully this will get sorted out by the time my brother moves (or we may just have to cut our losses)...

I then went to visit my mom and dad at their respective resting places...

Lunch from Mama Woo's...I've been wanting to try this place for some time...

The parking is nuts!

Luckily I found a stall on the street.

I had the kimbap, mandoo and fried chicken wing for lunch...the fried chicken wing was so good! crispy, sweet and savory.

The kimbap was good too.

For the next couple meals I'll be eating Mama Woo's Special...4 side dishes, kalbi, bbq beef, chicken (mandoo & chicken wing).

Because I didn't want rice, they gave me one more side dish.

Friday dinner we met Aunty M for pupus (caesar salad, octopus with arugula, garlic fries, crab artichoke dip)

And lilikoi mango cheesecake.

Saturday morning, we met up with relatives for breakfast at Liliha Nimitz...

I ordered the two eggs (over medium), portuguese sausage and potatoes.

The weather is still gross (humid)...I may need to make a shave ice run...

Flying out tomorrow....hope you have a nice weekend!

Senia
75 North King Street
Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone: 808.200.5412
Closed Sundays
Lunch: Tuesdays-Fridays 11:00-14:00
Dinner: Mondays-Saturdays 17:30-21:30

Baker Dudes
923 Alakea Street
Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone: 808.597.4717
Closed Saturdays-Sundays
Hours: 6:30-16:00

Mama Woo's
2080 South King Street
Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone: 808.941.6262
Hours: 10:00-20:30

6 comments:

Louise said...

I sure hope Thomas Cook wasn't the UK company those travellers cheques weren't bought from!

Anonymous said...

again, I wish I could go to all the places you've been to. Everything looks so yummy,excepting for Vein. Sounded so disappointing.
I've been making my own shave ice at home and doing the lemon peel thing too, sometimes also a sprinkle of that white li hing powder you gave me. Thanks for the both the idea and powder. I wonder if the shave ice with lemon peel and gummy bears with lemon peel is why Wholesale Unlimited has run out of lemon peel, both kinds, strips and rings! This week has really been hot and humid. Ugh!
You have a safe trip home and I dare you to post pictures of your house after being away for 3 months LOL. Dead plants, burnt pots, what else? And always meant to ask too, did you knee get better since you kind of "rested" it here?
Hope to see you in November, and take care!
v

K and S said...

I don't think it was Louise, but the company was located in the UK.

I heard there was a shortage of li hing/seed things because of the China tariffs, V. My knee has its good days and bad, at least I can stand on it now...I need the doctor to look at my shoulder when I go see him next week...eep!

Take care you two.
Kat

K said...

Safe travels!

KirkK said...

Senia is really good, huh? Safe travels home!

K and S said...

Thanks K!

Hope you can try them Kirk!

Take care you two.
Kat