Monday, July 18, 2022

90%

Last year, my friend Junko, sent me a care package filled with all of her favorite foods. (Thank you!)

One item was this ra-yu (chili oil).

It is called Sendai ra-yu and 90% of the "gu" (ingredients) is Sendai gyu-tan (beef tongue).

This particular ra-yu wasn't spicy, though there is a spicy version, it was so good on omelettes and stir fried veggies. 

The beef tongue seemed to be simmered until tender in a sweet salty sauce. Then packed into the bottle and filled with chili oil.

I will keep an eye out for it and hope to purchase more from the Miyagi Antenna Shop in Tokyo.

5 comments:

Rowena said...

wow! I would love to try cooking somthing like this but from what I've read, recipes call for thinly sliced beef tongue. I've only seen them sold whole over here and I know it would be difficult to slice them myself.

jalna said...

All of the items look so interesting. Nice!

Anonymous said...

Glad you like to try so many different things. I love rayu but would have balked at this beef tongue version.

BTW, that shiofuki somen has become my regular dish with this hot, muggy weather.

v

K and S said...

I've seen it in slabs, Rowena, just didn't realize it is hard to slice.

Thanks Jalna, they were all delicious!

aw so ono V!

Take care everyone.
Kat

KirkK said...

That looks really good Kat!