Friday, December 21, 2007

leftovers

This post is a bit old, as old as the leftovers I used?...Anyway, I had some leftover curry furikake, so I made fried rice. I scrambled an egg, and added some green onions. When the egg was cooked, I added in some rice that had been in the refrigerator.

When the rice was warmed up, I added a dash of tonkatsu sauce (a thick sauce similar to worcestershire, used on tonkatsu (pork cutlet)). Then I added the curry furikake.

The only mistake was that I left this in the pan too long, so everything dried out. It was tasty, but dry.

Another dish I did was with leftover pasta sauce and it is called doria. I'm not too sure of the origin of this dish. Usually when you eat it, there is seafood or chicken in it, rice and lots of white sauce, not tomato sauce.

If you order this when eating out be prepared to wait, it takes some time to bake. When it comes to your table, it is bubbly and usually is so hot that I burn the roof of my mouth and tongue and can't taste anything for the rest of the meal.

The other casserole type dish they have in Japan is called gratin, this is usually made with macaroni, seafood or chicken and lots of white sauce, this also takes a while to bake and I usually burn the roof of my mouth and tongue also....

What are you having for dinner?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I am having turkey tetrazzini, which fits squarely into the "leftovers" and "gratin" categories.

K and S said...

ooh haven't had that in ages, Aurora!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Well I can tell you one thing -- it isn't going to be leftovers! I don't often have them because when I cook, it's almost always for two servings.

I think I would totally love to raid your fridge!

K and S said...

I usually try to cook for two, Rowena, but there are days when it just doesn't happen. I would love to see what you could do with the stuff in my fridge :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

want to visit sabah?
http://go2sabah.blogspot.com/

lina said...

what a totally delicious adventure!

Bea said...

No matter what, it looks great.
Tonight, braised fennels with thyme, then fingerling potatoes and carrots roasted with sage, and then grilled haddock fillets. Totally eclectic. Just emptying the fridge before leaving! ;-)
Happy Holidays Kat!

K and S said...

ooh I like your dinner, Bea! I'm coming over to help you empty your fridge. :)

Thanks Lina!

Will check it out Sabah.

Take care everyone!
Kat