Wednesday, December 12, 2007

warming up

Yesterday was raining off and on. It was brrr...cold. The condensation would come out from your mouth when you talked.

Though I made this dessert for Sunday's dinner, I wanted to share it with you on this cold day.

I love apple crisp. It is even better with fresh blueberries in it. I've made it before and posted about it here.

We recently received a box of apples from Satoshi's friend (Thank you!). What would you do with 36 apples? Well, I gave half of it away. We've been eating some for breakfast and I also made an apple crisp with blueberries.

1 apple, sliced into bite sized pieces
1 handful of blueberries

Topping adapted from Ellie Krieger
1/4 cup flour
2/3 cup muesli
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
20 grinds fresh cinnamon
1/4 cup EVOO

Mix the fruits with the topping mixture. Bake in a oven-safe dish at 350F (180C) for 40 minutes.
Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Though the ice cream is cold, the warm crisp is definitely a nice way to warm up.

This morning, I made some bread pudding using a chocolate orange french bread, blueberries and a sprinkle of vanilla sugar on top. Out of the oven it was bubbly and hit the spot on a cold morning.

Hope you are staying warm where you are.

11 comments:

2kamuela47 said...

Apple crisp one of my favorites. I'm more of a fruit dessert person than chocolate. Keep warm :o)

Rowena said...

3 dozen apples for FREE?!! You lucky girl you! I'd probably have to give some away too...delicious way to warm up on a cold day!

K and S said...

Thanks Laura and Rowena!

Take care you two.
Kat

Chibog in Chief said...

what a lovely dessert!! i dont care even if its cold..i wouldnt mind at all eating this apples and ice cream..yummy...are these fuji apples that you had??they are my fave!!

K and S said...

Hi Dhanggit,
I'm not too sure if they are Fuji apples, but they came from Shinshu. I love Fuji apples too.

Take care.
Kat

ilingc said...

Ahh Kat, I could do with some of these apple crisps at the moment. How I wish I had some apples and blueberries in the fridge.

Brilynn said...

Apple crisp is always a great way to warm up, it's such a comfort food!

Anonymous said...

Yum! There's sleet, snow and rain at the moment. I want some of this now. ;-)

Paz

K and S said...

I wish you had some apples and blueberries in your fridge too, Ilingc!

Comfort food is right, Brilynn!

Hope you get something warm soon, Paz!

Take care all.
Kat

Barbara said...

I love apple crisp. even when the weather is hot.

K and S said...

Never thought to have this when the weather was warm, Barbara, will have to give it a try. :)

Take care.
Kat