Saturday, January 26, 2008

salon du chocolat tokyo

I had been wanting to see this event for myself, since last year and also after seeing Paris Breakfasts' many posts. While the Paris and U.S. events are held at convention center like places, the events in Tokyo and Kyoto are held on one floor of a department store.

There were news stories leading up to the first day, with gobs of housewives lining up here and there for chocolates. I knew I would not be able to "leisurely" look around. I had to go in with a "game plan".

The air carrier that I normally fly with no longer flies to Kansai airport, so for me to use that air carrier, I had to fly out of Narita. Since I would be near Tokyo, I scheduled my trip home to coincide with this event.

The place was quite packed when I got there but I was able to buy the Salon du Chocolat selection box and the Chloe selection box.

The Salon selection box featured 12 of the top chocolatiers. Henri Le Roux, Frederic Cassel, Franck Fresson, Hirsinger, Arnaud Larher, Sebastian Bouillet, Franck Kestener, Lac, Thierry Mulhaupt, Jean Charles Rochoux, Daniel Rebert & Maison Ferber. Most of the individual selections were quite pricey, so I figured that this was the best way to get a taste of most of the participants creations in the show.

The Chloe selection box featured 12 chocolates picked by Chloe Doutre-Roussel and were made by 4 top chocolatiers (Fabrice Gillotte, Patrick Roger, Jean-Paul Hevin & Gerard Coleman).

Each box came with its own "chocolate map" and description of each chocolate.

There was also a "chocolat bar" this was an area set aside for you to taste 3 chocolates while having a beverage like coffee or tea. They bring out a menu for you to choose 3 chocolates.

I tried to choose 3 chocolates that were not featured in any of the two boxes that I purchased. Some of my initial choices were sold out, so I ended up trying Maison Ferber's Mirage--a lavender and black pepper bon bon, the lavender infused chocolate is really addicting! Oberweis' signature called Oberweis--an Alsace wine soaked raisins enveloped in a bitter chocolate truffle and then coated with granule sugar and cocoa powder--also addicting! And Gobino's Maximo and Al Cafe--the maximo is a dark gianduja and the al cafe a milk chocolate with coffee.

While waiting for my order this couple came and sat next to me. They both ordered different items and then the lady took out her pocket knife to cut their chocolates in half to share. They are truly chocolate lovers!

There were also opportunities for you to get autographs from the chocolatiers, this is someone getting the autograph of Henri Le Roux.

There were chocolate art and fashion.

Although the space was quite confined, it was still a great event.

Lunch was at a little cafe run by Alain Ducasse called Be (BoulangEpicerie).

This was a duck confit tartine with salad, creme brulee & petit financiers.

I also found some macarons by Sebastian Bouillet. These were quite interesting flavors, barbe a papa rose (rose flavored, though I didn't care too much for the granule sugar on the outsides) & popcorn. My favorite was the popcorn, salty and sweet together.

The other two were called macalyons and were chocolate coated macarons. The silver flecked one was caramel with fleur de sel and the other was a 70% cacao ganache with nibs on top.

I also found a little florist outside of the department store selling these cute flower "sweets". You can't eat them but these look good enough to.

There was so much to see, but I am convinced that Tokyo is the foodie capital of Japan. I hope to be able to check this event out again next year. It was really worth it. I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did....now it is off to Hawaii!

23 comments:

Pandabonium said...

Aloha oe. Have some Roselani Haupia ice cream for me. :p

K and S said...

Ooh, I've never tried that ice cream, Pandab, will try to on this trip home.

Take care.
Kat

Thistlemoon said...

This sounds like a wonderful event for foodies! I am so glad you got to enjoy it and tell us all about it! :)

K and S said...

I hope to someday be able to go to Paris or NYC to experience this event, Jenndz!

Take care.
Kat

Brilynn said...

I love trying new kinds of chocolates, sounds like a tasty event!

Anonymous said...

Kat

WTH?! Where was this held?

Enjoy Hawaii!

Peko

Barbara said...

Kat I think you like chocolate? ;)

K and S said...

definitely something to check out Brilynn, they have this in NYC, if you have a chance to get over there.

Peko, they will have one at Kyoto Isetan next week. Google the website for more info!

he he, I think so too Barbara!

Take care everyone.
Kat

KirkK said...

Have a great time back home, Kat!

K and S said...

Thanks Kirkk!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Oh my lord Kat...what a treat. I wish they would have stuff like that over here, those heels take shoe festish to a new level!

2kamuela47 said...

I love it when you go to these events! Those chocolates look so ono! Have fun when you come home I know you will have a lot of foodie adventures. Take care, Laura

K and S said...

Thanks Rowena, I really want to try to go to the one in Paris, it seems so much bigger and better!

Thanks Laura!

Take care you two.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Looks amazing, I am glad you enjoyed it. Those heels are awesome! Hope I can join you next time! :)

K and S said...

I know we would have had a nice time together, TM! Next year for sure!

Take care.
Kat

La Tartine Gourmande said...

What a treat to be there Kat. I bet it must have been heaven.

K and S said...

I'd really like to go to the one in Paris next, Bea!

Take care.
Kat

nordwolke said...

You have been to heaven!!! :))) I love chocolate, especially chocs with dark chocolate! That's funny that you can get autographs from the chocolatiers. :)

K and S said...

Yes, chocolate heaven, Nina! I thought is was quite interesting that you could get the autographs too.

Take care.
Kat

Parisbreakfasts said...

OOOOOOOOO
Very interesting to see your version of the Salon!
I like the idea of the combo chocolate boxes!!!
They don't have THAT in France of NYC :(
Nice way to taste different makers
Thanks for all the photos!
Carolg

K and S said...

I guess you'll be coming to Tokyo next January, Carol :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Ok, now I'm really jealous! Not only do you get to swan around Japan, and Hawaii, eating fabulous things, but you also went to a salon du chocolat!

K and S said...

Sorry Nim, hopefully what I'm posting makes you feel like you were with me too :)

Take care.
Kat