Saturday, January 12, 2008

lazy beans

Last night I made chili for dinner. I was too lazy to cook the beans for hours and hours and too cheap to buy a can of beans, so I threw the handful of dry beans (after rinsing them) into my rice cooker and cooked them with my rice (though you can't see them in the photo).

The heat of the rice cooker is so high that it cooks the beans to just tender, not mushy.

On a cold, rainy night. Chili with rice really hit the spot.

Clarification: sorry, I was a bit vague above. The bean-less chili I made in a separate pot. I cooked the beans with my rice.

5 comments:

2kamuela47 said...

Aah comfort food! Making me hungry for some right now! Yummy!!!

Anonymous said...

Intriguing. I can't picture how you made this in your rice cooker, but I recently saw an article in a Japanese language woman's magazine where an "okazu" dish like sausage with cabbage and onions were cooked in a plastic bag on top of the rice in a rice cooker. Or did you make a bean-less chili and just have a "mame gohan" with it?

K and S said...

Thanks Laura!

Sorry Anonymous, I guess my description was a bit vague. I made the chili separately and made rice with the beans in it.

Take care you two.
Kat

Anonymous said...

That sausage looks like the Arabiki sausage that's sold here in Hawaii, which are known for their "snappy crunch". Good stuff!

K and S said...

The sausage is called "pirikara" for spicy and is made in Shinshu, Pomai. They have a snappy-ness to them too. I like them because they are spicier than the "arabiki" ones they sell in the markets.

Take care.
Kat