Thursday, January 31, 2008

wally ho's

I had heard about Wally Ho's last year. There was an event called Oahu Dines. Restaurants participating in the event would donate monies to the Life Foundation and Wally Ho's was one of the restaurants participating. I didn't get around to eating there, so I made a mental note to try it on this trip home.

This place used to be a full-service service station, now they do repairs and they also serve up some good local food.

I met my friend, Tom for lunch. The place was packed but we were lucky to be able to get a seat (there are only 7 tables).

I ordered a mini version of "Lynn's Awesome Meat" (US $7.95) this is a marinated steak cooked to your liking. The plate comes with mac or tossed and you can choose brown or white rice too. This was definitely worth ordering, though the mac salad was a bit too mayonnaise-y for me.

Tom ordered the mini version of fried poke (US $10.95). This also came with mac or tossed and a scoop of rice (brown or white).

The mini plates are a dollar less than the regular sized plates. And the regular plates have two scoops of rice. We were surprised at the size of the mini. It was actually just right for our appetites.

As we were leaving, my eye caught on the words "homemade" and "baked goods". I picked up their lemon bar and super fudgy brownie (US $3 each). I love homemade things and these were very good.

So, if you are driving along Kam Highway, and getting hungry, stop in for some ono(delicious) local food. You won't be disappointed.

Wally Ho's Garage & Grill (UPDATE :2020 no longer in business)
98-380 Kamehameha Highway
Aiea, Oahu
Phone: 808.488.2220

9 comments:

2kamuela47 said...

My friends go there a lot. Who would have thought a service station makes some ono grinds. Have you tried the 19th Puka across of Buzz steak house? The son's of Ige's run that restaurant I think. I like it there, usually have a steak salad at that restaurant.

K and S said...

Never heard of the place, Laura, but will make note of it. Thanks for the info.

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Yet another place I keep hearing about but have never been. I've added it to my mental "must visit" list.

OkiHwn said...

Oooh boy, that steak looks good!

SOOOO jealous right now!

Thistlemoon said...

Those looks really yummy, Kat! Sounds like a lot of fun!

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - Wow, I'd never heard of this one! The food looks ono. and if those are mini plates, I'm wondering how much food is in the regular size plates?

K and S said...

I hope you get a chance to try this place, really worth it, Alan!

Hope you'll be home soon, Nate!

Thanks Jenndz, it was a nice lunch with a good friend.

While we were there, someone ordered a regular chicken katsu and it looked like two katsu on the plate, with two scoops rice and mac salad, Kirkk. Definitely worth the $$.

Take care everyone.
Kat

2kamuela47 said...

Hey Kat,

Place is called IGE's Restaurant & 19 Puka at 98-761 Oihana Place Aiea, Hawaii 96701 Ph (808) 486-6500. It's kind of like a sports bar place also. Hope you have a chance to check it out. Take care! Laura

K and S said...

Thanks for the info, Laura. I actually had to drive past there today, so I looked at the sign and it said Ige's and 19th puka.

Take care.
Kat