Friday, January 11, 2008

yukke, yuk-hoe....don!

Lately, when we go to the kaitensushi (conveyor belt sushi), I've been hooked on wa-fu yukke sushi (Japanese style yukke sushi). Sushi rice topped with chopped up fish and a spicy, shoyu sauce, wrapped with a piece of nori (laver).

I've never tried Korean yukke, which I found out is actually spelt yuk-hoe, it is their version of steak tartare which uses raw eggs on top.

The sushi I've been hooked on doesn't use raw eggs, which is probably why I will eat it, plus the spicy sauce is quite addicting.

Wanting to re-create this sushi in the kitchen, I googled around and came upon a recipe for the yuk-hoe sauce. I bought some sashimi and chopped it up, sliced some chisha (bitter korean lettuce), put it over rice, drizzled the sauce, sprinkled some green onion and sesame seeds. I also sprinkled some thinly cut nori (laver)....here's my yuk-hoe donburi or yuk-hoe don.

Here is the recipe for the sauce, use your favorite raw fish.
Adapted from the internet
50cc mirin (sweet rice wine)
50cc shoyu (soy sauce)
50cc sesame seed oil
1 teaspoon kochujang (korean spicy miso paste)
1/2 teaspoon kim chee starter

Measure and mix everything well. Drizzle over your bowl of fish or even a salad!

NOTES: Loved this sauce, it is very close to the one I've had at the sushi places, though I think it could be a bit more spicy...next time I think I'll try it over vinegared sushi rice and maybe let the fish soak in the sauce for awhile.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sauce sounds really delicious, what else would you recommend using it on?

Ari (Baking and Books)

K and S said...

I would use it on a salad or over chicken, Ari. I hope you like it.

Take care.
Kat

2kamuela47 said...

Hey Kat! I really love your posts. I updated my blog with all the Sugar Bowl festivities. When you have a chance check it out. Take care, Laura

Rowena said...

It feels like deja vu ;-) I was just salivating over this photo at Flickr! So drooling right now.....

K and S said...

Thanks Laura, will check your blog out!

Thanks Rowena!

Take care you two.
Kat