Friday, March 13, 2009

baking for white day

Yesterday after lunch, I spent some time baking some mini muffins for Satoshi to give his co-workers for White Day.

White Day is on the 14th of March and is the day when the males "give back" to the females after receiving something for Valentine's Day.

Since Satoshi has 30 co-workers in his department (mostly females), I decided to bake instead of buy something.

When I went to MUJI, they had these box mixes. I figured by buying 4 boxes (1 box making 10 muffins) to make 40 muffins was cheaper than buying something pre-made.

The picture on the box was a bit deceiving, they looked like big muffins. Upon opening the box, I realized they were "cute" mini muffins.

The neat thing about these mixes was that it came with the muffin cups, muffin mix, chocolate pens to decorate the muffin, freeze dried strawberry "dust" and cellophane bags with twisties to wrap up the muffins. All I needed to do was add an egg, some oil and some milk and bake!

Since the muffin cups were tiny, I figured out that I could bake 2 boxes (20 muffins) at once on my turntable.

The batter was easy to put together and was rather easy to divide amongst the cups. The baking time was a bit longer than the suggested, but it was noted on the box that it would depend on your oven.

After baking all 4 boxes in 2 batches, which took about a half hour, I took a nap while I let them cool.

To decorate them, I heated up the chocolate pens in hot water as the box instructed. I had never worked with these pens and realized there wasn't much control when using them.

There were splats of chocolate here and there, but I think the decorations were quite "contemporary" looking, don't you? (I was going for 2 hearts, one white and one dark)

Since it was a cool day, the chocolate hardened quite quickly and I didn't have to put them into the freezer as the box instructed.

I put each muffin into a cellophane bag and tied them with a twistie.

Of course, I couldn't send these off without tasting one (or two)...they were very moist and delicious.

I hope they enjoy them...Happy White Day!

19 comments:

Christine said...

That's an interesting tradition, because here it's usually the guy who gave stuff to the girl.

Those muffin cups are awesome! I agree, I like the way you decorated the tops because it gives in an abstract arty look.

K and S said...

Thanks, I think they do this in Korea too, Christina. Valentines = girls give guys, White Day = guys give girls. It was hard for me to understand because in the US we only have Valentines and the giving is reciprocle.

Take care.
Kat

genkitummy said...

cute cupcakes! i really like the muffin cups!

2kamuela47 said...

I like that tradition...the cupcakes look so cute!!! ;o)

K and S said...

They look like they are coated with something so that it keeps its shape when baking, Genki :)

Thanks Laura :)

Take care you two.
Kat

gradualwisd0m said...

They look very pretty! My birthday is actually on March 14th so I enjoy the idea of White Day!

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

Don't you just love Muji! I could live there.

Cute mini cupcakes! :)

islandgirl1223 said...

the muffins looks so cute!! I love that the muffin mix came with everything in it. That is so Japanese!!

Suze said...

Such cute cupcakes! Nice packaging too. I'm sure they'll be enjoyed.

K and S said...

Happy Birthday Gradualwisd0m!

I think I could live there too, Abigail :)

Thanks Islandgirl1223 :) very Japanese indeed!

Thanks Suze :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

syarlilady said...

White Day? Hmm...I work in Japanese company and have never heard of it. My Japanese bosses never mentioned it even once.

K and S said...

Syarlilady,
If you work for a Japanese company but not in Japan, your bosses probably tried to avoid the day all together.

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

What a fun kit to use. I love the little muffins and the pens look like fun. I love your modern art on top! ;-)

ilingc said...

Ahhh, i'm with everyone. the muffin liners are so very cute. i wonder if they sell it at muji over here too...? might head to the nearest muji soon, just to check it out.

Out of curiosity, (if you don't mind me asking that is) did Satoshi received anything from his female colleagues for v'day?

I'm just curious because you've made these for him to take to White day at work. From your post, it sounded like he received some presents, therefore he has to reciprocate, hence you baked the muffins on his behalf.

Or is it just a general custom for the men, whether or not they received a present from the gals?

Hope I didn't offend you or anything by asking..? ;)

Barbara said...

A nice tradition. Lovely muffins Kat.

K and S said...

Thanks Deb :)

Oh yeah he did Ilingc, lots of chocolates :) I hope the MUJI in your city have these mixes!

Thanks Barbara :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

Rowena said...

I love the efficiency of the packet mix, complete with wrapping bags too! but you had me puzzled at the part where you wrote:

bake 2 boxes (20 muffins) at once on my turntable

Kat what you mean by turntable? These weren't nuke cupcakes so how is your oven configured? Mine is the usual standard -- now I'm curious!

p.s. thanks for the sending me the link for a good "laugh"!

K and S said...

Rowena,
My "oven" is microwave/grill/toaster/broiler/oven all in one. The element runs the perimeter of the oven. When I first tried baking, I used a square pan and it only cooked the outer edges. That's when I figured I should fit everything onto the microwave turntable. This way, everything rotates as it bakes and bakes evenly. Kind of a pain because certain pans do not fit on the turntable, and I am limited at how much I can bake at once, but I seem to find a way to do what I want. Like muffins in a muffin pan means I can only bake 6 at a time. The turntable is good too because it is thick like a pizza stone.

Take care.
Kat

K and S said...

Thanks Vincent!

Take care.
Kat