Saturday, March 14, 2009

condi

My student told me about a shop in the Westin Osaka called Condi. She said that they had the best soft pretzels.

This hotel/shop is out of the way, but last Saturday, Satoshi had his annual physical which was held next door to the Westin, so I went to check it out while I waited for him.

They had one called pretzel (180 yen about US$1.80) and one with another German name (phonetically it was lau-gen-schu-tan-gal; the long bread, if you know what it means or if you know the correct spelling, please let me know, 250 yen (about US$2.50)), so I bought both to try.

I put it into the toaster to warm it up. I also actually wanted some spicy mustard, you know the kind you can get at the baseball fields in the U.S.? Of course that is non-existent here (to my knowledge), so I mixed some dijon and some whole seed mustard....definitely not the same. In the end, I ate them just plain.

Overall, both the pretzel and long bread, after putting them into the toaster, were crisp on the outside and really chewy on the inside....heavenly.

Next time I'm in this area, I'm picking up more.

Condi (UPDATE: 11/2015, they no longer sell bread items here, but do sell food gift items)
inside of the Westin Osaka
1-1-20 Oyodonaka
Kita-ku, Osaka
Phone: 06.6440.1111

9 comments:

Christine said...

I think that's why toasting bagels make them taste good. The crust gets really crispy and the inside gets puffy and chewy.

K and S said...

You are probably right Christina :) I like toasting bagels too.

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

They look delicious. It is hard to find a good sub for spicy mustard isn't it?!

ilingc said...

I miss good pretzels. Even the street side ones in New York tastes good. Not sure if they're that hygienic (since it's by the road side!) or what's in it, but whenever I hear the word "pretzel", it brings back memories of picking up one and chowing on it as we strolled down 5th ave :)

K and S said...

Yes it is Deb!

I think NYC has the best pretzels, Ilingc

Take care you two.
Kat

Su-Shee said...

The long thing is called a "Laugenstange" or "Laugenstangerl" (bavarian - it's something native to the south of Germany) in german - the dough is roughly the same as for Brezeln (pretzels).

They're made with and without rough salt on it, sometimes with caraway, sesame or poppy seeds and are eaten plain or with butter.

Literal translation would be "lye stick" - the surface is treated with a weak baker's lye before baking.

Available as pretzel-, roll-, knot- and stick-shaped in regular size and in a smaller "one bite" party size called "Laugenkonfekt".

K and S said...

Thank you so much for your knowledge on this, Su-Shee.

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Your pretzel and bread sounded and looked delicious. I haven't had a pretzel in a very long time -- years. ;-)

Paz

K and S said...

I think it if your diet allows, it may be time to re-connect with them Paz :)

Take care.
Kat