Wednesday, March 04, 2009

prune mui

So with all this dreary weather, I've been craving comforts of home. One of which is prune mui.

Prune mui is a local favorite in Hawaii. It is a preserve of dried fruits, the sweet and sour sauce is addicting and most times you eat the fruits with your fingers, licking them after putting some into your mouth (well, I usually do this). I tried the recipe from Hawaii State Representative Roy Takumi's pamphlet.

2 packages prunes
2 packages apricots
1 package wet li hing mui
1 package dried lemon peel

Sauce:
1/2 teaspoon Hawaiian salt
1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice
1 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup lemon juice
3 teaspoon whiskey

Combine all sauce ingredients and mix well. Add the fruits to the sauce and shake.


NOTES: I only had some prunes, so I bought some apricots (actually I like the apricots more than the prunes), but didn't have the li hing mui (chinese preserved plums) or dried lemon peel, so I bought some candied yuzu (citron). Another recipe indicated letting the mixture sit for a week, so that is what I did. This recipe didn't have much liquid so, I kept turning the bottle upside down and laying it on its side to get everything coated. I think it would have been better if the yuzu wasn't candied, it made it a little sweeter than I like.

Still, it was ono (delicious).

9 comments:

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

Oh yum! Where did you find the dried apricots? I used to buy them at Costco but they don't sell them anymore.

Pandabonium said...

Both of my daughters - Maui girls - would love that. I have to send them the link to this post.

K and S said...

I'm going to email you Abigail!

I hope they like it PB :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Rowena said...

My mom used to make this all the time! (locals sure know how to snack)...heh heh

About the comments, must've been worldwide, 'cause I encountered the same problem on several blogspot-hosted sites. Frustrating yeah?

K and S said...

Rowena, we locals sure do know how to snack :) I am glad it was worldwide and not just my computer :)

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

I have never had prune mui before but it does look good!

K and S said...

I hope you get a chance to try it soon, Deb :)

Take care.
Kat

Rumela said...

The recipe is prune mui wonderful. prune and mui- an interesting combination. I am sure it tastes great as like your picture. I love sour taste and would like to try this one. prune are my favorite. I love to eat prune with hing mui and lemon peel.. a heavenly delight. thank you for shearing your post.

K and S said...

I hope you like this Rumela :)

Take care.
Kat