Monday, August 10, 2009

apple gorgonzola salad

During my trip to Hawaii, we went to Buca di Beppo for lunch, courtesy of my brother's gift cards to my parents (Thanks Keoki!).

One of the things we ordered was the Apple Gorgonzola Salad...this salad was delicious..tart granny smith apples, salty gorgonzola & sweet walnuts top some romaine with a puckery vinaigrette.

Curious to see if there was a recipe online, I surfed around and came upon this one.

The other night, I adapted it and came up with a delicious salad for dinner.

NOTES: For the candied walnuts, I used Ellie Krieger's "Maple Glazed Walnuts" recipe, but instead of caramelizing them in a heated pan, I baked them in the oven (so I wouldn't have to stand by the stove).

Also, for the vinaigrette, I omitted the dry mustard (because I didn't have any) and garlic (I was lazy to defrost some). I also used white wine vinegar which the recipe recommended using and cut back the amount of oil.

Since the market I shopped at only had one kind of apple (Jonah Gold), I used this in the salad.

I also added some sliced carrots and tomatoes. Also, there wasn't any romaine, so I used green leaf.

The salad was close to what I remembered...I'm making this again.

5 comments:

KirkK said...

Hey Kat - Looks nice and refreshing.

K and S said...

Thanks KirkK :) I really liked all the components together.

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Apples, blue cheese and nuts--sounds delicious! Nothing like a great dinner salad on a hot night.

Deb said...

oh me too!! i do love an apple (or even pear) salad with thick gorgonzola and walnuts...that blend of flavors just me smile all the way through the meal:) thanks for the reminder!

K and S said...

anything cool is great on a summery night Debinhawaii :)

hope you try this Deb :)

Take care you two.
Kat