Saturday, August 01, 2009

made it!

After a 7-hour flight, I made it back safely.

The procedure to check-in at the Honolulu airport was crazy! There was a line to check-in our baggage then another line to get our boarding passes. It took me 30 minutes just to check-in my baggage...I think the problem stood with the Japanese tourists having to re-pack their bags to fit the weight restrictions.

All the while, the baggage handlers were literally kicking and flinging luggage around....sigh. (so much for packing with care...)

Then going through immigration in Japan, they changed the system.

Before, we (foreigners with visas) could go through the line with the Japanese nationals. I stood in the re-entry line (which was with the Japanese nationals) and got to the counter only to be told I needed to stand in the Foreigners line...sigh.

A Chinese woman (with a visa) decided that she was in a rush and had to cut in front of me...sigh.

I think she got even more impatient and antsy as the guy from Africa who was in front of her took a long time at the immigration desk because his paperwork wasn't in order...ha! (she shouldn't have cut in line)

Luckily Satoshi was able to take off to meet me at the airport. We caught the limousine bus to the train station near our place and went to buy something for dinner.

As we were walking in our shopping arcade the rain came down in buckets! (thank goodness our shopping arcade has a roof!) We caught a taxi but got soaking wet taking our bags out of the taxi's trunk.

Hopefully tomorrow's weather will be least my luggage/belongings made it in one piece.


2kamuela47 said...

Glad you got back safely. Catching up with your previous posts looks like you had a great time and revisted your stomping grounds. Keep cool one of my co-workers just returned from Japan and said that it was really hot and humid over there and she didn't mind the Hawaii's humid conditions. Take care!

Rona Y said...

The last time I went through KIX they had three lines at immigration--one for Japanese, one for foreigners, and one for foreigners with Alien Registration cards. I guess it has changed again!

I still have four more weeks until I have to go through that. I'm not looking forward to it!

K and S said...

aw man the humidity is awful here Laura :(

Rona, I was standing in the Re-entry line and got up to the desk only to be told I had to go to the Foreigner line :( Hope the process is easier for you.

Take care you two.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Glad you made it home safe and sound. Now comes the unpacking all those goodies you bought! ;-)

K and S said...

already unpacked Debinhawaii, just don't know where to put everything...sigh.

Take care.

Rowena said...

Every time I fly back home or return to Italy, I'm always on edge that either side has "changed" something. This last time it was customs on the italian side. They wanted to know if I was smuggling in electronics! (most likely because I look chinese asian?) If I were to smuggle anything it would be mangoes...duh!

K and S said...

I totally understand Rowena, I am always afraid they will make me open my suitcase/boxes...yeah, I too would smuggle mangoes/portuguese sausage... :)

Suze said...

Glad you had a safe flight.

K and S said...

Thanks Suze, bummed we didn't get to see each other this time.

Take care.

Deb said...

i would so smuggle portuguese sausage too . . .and malasadas, cream puffs and and and!

welcome home. . . when you are in hawaii this long, does the feeling of homesickness stay away longer?

K and S said...

actually Deb, the minute I land in Japan and experience all the tons of people, 2nd hand smoke, it makes me homesick for Hawaii :(

Take care.