Wednesday, November 23, 2011

eringi ragout

There is a dish at Capricciosa (a chain Italian restaurant) that I like to get, their spicy eringi ragout with pappardalle.

I tried to recreate it the other night for dinner and I think I came quite close.

Here's what I did: makes 2 servings

1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/8 onion, minced
1/2 clove of garlic, minced
pinch of chili flakes
1/4 red bell pepper, diced
180 grams ground beef pork mixture
2 small bunches of spinach, cleaned and cut to bite sized pieces
5 eringi, sliced thin

1 tablespoon tonkatsu sauce
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup leftover creamy tomato soup
salt, pepper

2 servings pasta, cooked

Heat oil in a frying pan and add the onions, garlic and chili.
Then add the red bell pepper, meat & spinach
When the meat changes color, add the eringi
Then when the eringi starts to cook through add the tonkatsu sauce, tomato paste and leftover soup

The sauce should start to get thick after a couple of minutes.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

Cook your pasta according to package directions and drain but do not rinse.
Scoop sauce over your pasta and serve.

NOTES: I liked this, it was similar to the one at Capricciosa and had more "stuff" in it than theirs. Plus with the addition of eringi, you can cut back the amount of meat you add to this sauce. If you don't have tonkatsu sauce, use worcestershire sauce.

I'm making this again.

7 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, no wonder this is one of your favorites! And thanks for the substitution for tonkatsu sauce...just in case I can't find it around here :)

K said...

Nice! I don't like mushrooms but everything else sounds great

K and S said...

Thanks Lizzy :)

Lol K :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Japan Australia said...

Sounds really good and close to a dish I make with Italian sausage rather than ground beef pork.

Japan Australia

K and S said...

Italian sausage is not readily available here J-A, but I bet your ragout is delicious!

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

This looks hearty and like a good meal for a cold evening. ;-)

K and S said...

I think I want to try this on bread Deb :)

Take care.
Kat