Thursday, November 17, 2011

cinnamon rolls

Remember those True North almond pecan cashew clusters I told you about?

Well, there were a lot of "crumbs" at the bottom...about 1/4 cup worth, that I couldn't see throwing away.

Then over the weekend I watched, "Kamome Shokudo" a quirky Japanese foodie movie set in Finland.

The main character opens a cafe in Finland and the adventures begin.

During the film, one of the items she makes are cinnamon rolls.

With the "crumbs" of the nut clusters and some cinnamon, I used my last "expired" yeast packet and made these...

I made some glaze with powdered sugar and some water and drizzled it over.

It was my first time making cinnamon rolls, they don't look as fabulous as the ones in the movie, but straight out of the oven they were delicious with some coffee and it was a nice way to use up those "crumbs" (and that expired yeast).

UPDATE: the next day they were a bit dense, probably because it didn't rise well to begin with, but still tasty all the same.

14 comments:

jalna said...

Oooooh, cinnamon rolls. Looks great!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

OOoh, my family LOVES cinnamon rolls...and what a great use for your yummy crumbs :)

Anonymous said...

I like the sound of your cinnamon rolls and I like the sound of the movie.

K and S said...

Thanks Jalna, Lizzy & Paz, I hope next time I do this they will rise nicer :)

Take care.
Kat

Japan Australia said...

We sometimes make Cinnamon rolls at home and the smell through-out the house is amazing with that sweat aroma :)

Japan Australia

K and S said...

I think you meant sweet instead of sweat, J-A.

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

I don't like wasting crumbs either, especially if it has anything to do with nuts. That movie sounds so interesting...wish we had it here.

K and S said...

it is also known as "Kamome Diner" Rowena, I hope you will be able to find it :)

Take care.
Kat

Japan Australia said...

Thanks Kat, I always seem to mix those two up and in a bad way :(

Japan Australia

K and S said...

no prob, J-A :)

Take care.
Kat

K said...

What a great idea- I bet they added some nice texture to them!

K and S said...

very nice texture K :)

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Such a good idea to use up the last bits. Few things smell as good as cinnamon rolls baking. ;-)

K and S said...

gonna buy new yeast so I can make "softer" rolls Deb ;)

Take care.
Kat