Wednesday, February 29, 2012

yakidofu "agebitashi"

> Monday, there were flurries for most of the morning. Satoshi was bummed because he had to go to work, he wanted to stay in bed where it was warm.

By lunchtime, the sun had come out, but still the temps were down.

For some reason, I still had agebitashi on my mind from the other day.

I didn't want to do any type of frying though, so I took the easy way out.

I bought some yakidofu (grilled soy bean curd), it is sold in the refrigerated section. The tofu is firm and the outside of the tofu is slightly blackened.

For the veggies, I stir-fried eringi, carrots, spinach and red bell pepper in a non-stick pan using no oil.

Here is the recipe I used for the agebitashi sauce: adapted from the internet makes 4 servings

600 milliliters dashi
1 batch of ajishoyu*

*ajishoyu 2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons mirin (sweet rice wine)
3 tablespoons shoyu (soy sauce)
5 tablespoons sake (rice wine)
Bring ingredients to a boil then lower heat and simmer for 2 minutes, take off flame and cool.

To assemble, I heated the tofu in a pot with hot water for a couple of minutes.

Then I poured several ladles of the warmed sauce and then placed some of the veggies and sprinkled some sliced green onions.

NOTES: delicious and perfect on a cold evening. I'm making this again.

p.s. I want to thank Ana of www.ilovetortilladepatatas.com (her link no longer works) for the Liebster award she gave me. She has a great blog and is enjoying life in the Netherlands. Thanks Ana!

7 comments:

Rowena said...

This caught my eye on Flickr and here again it's making me hungry. I ♥ the combination of colors and textures here.

jalna said...

Oh, that looks so good to me!

K and S said...

Thanks Rowena, I've been trying to up our veggie intake :)

Thanks Jalna :)

Take care you two.
Kat

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - Isn't it amazing how the same four ingredients in different ratios can make such delicious dishes!

K and S said...

it is amazing Kirk!

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

It looks both warming and delicious.
;-)

K and S said...

Thanks Deb :)

Take care.
Kat