Saturday, December 30, 2006

chocolates, chocolates, chocolates

One last chocolate post for 2006....On a recent trip to the gourmet supermarket, I found Charlemagne chocolates. These Belgian chocolates are naturally flavored with no GMO (genetically modified organisms, I think that's what it stands for) or extra oil added. Since I had never tried this chocolate before, I bought the assorted neapolitans (squares).

There were 6 flavors: amer (75% cacao) a dark, rich chocolate, gingembre (54% cacao) with a light ginger taste, cafe d'orient (60% cacao) an assortment of spices, cannelle (60% cacao) a light cinnamon flavor, menthe fraiche (54% cacao) a light mint taste and jasmin (54% cacao) a flowery jasmine flavor. There was one flavor that wasn't included in the assortment, but I wouldn't mind trying some time, earl grey. Guess it will have to wait until the next trip to the gourmet supermarket.

Also at the gourmet supermarket was Venchi, an Italian chocolatier. I had tried them before and was interested in their dark chocolate with almonds. The almonds are caramelized then made into a bark covered with dark chocolate. These mini bars are just the right size.

For Christmas, I recently received these tiramisu flavored almonds by Ekchuah, a chocolatier in Osaka. The almonds are covered with caramel to give it a crunch, then covered with a tiramisu flavored chocolate and rolled in cocoa powder. Delicious!

Lastly, I bought this chai bar by Dagoba awhile back. It is a 37% cacao with chai spices and bits of crystallized ginger in it. This one is flavorful and really nice.

Can't wait for more chocolatey adventures in 2007!

6 comments:

Samantha said...

I love dagoba chocolate but of course I love chocolate. I'm envious of all the goodies it seems you find there. Happy New Year :)

K and S said...

Happy New Year to you too, Samantha!

Kat

2kamuela47 said...

Happy New Year Kat! Wow the year has flown by hasn't it? Your chocolate posts are awesome. Be SAFE and have FUN! Laura

K and S said...

Thanks Laura, you have a safe New Years too.

Kat

Anonymous said...

Kat,

I hope that in 2007 you will continue your reign as Queen of Chocolate!

K and S said...

Thank you Ivonne!
Happy New Year to you.

Kat