Monday, December 04, 2006

never....

Note to self: NEVER, do more than two kitchen related tasks at the same time, especially in the teeny kitchen that you have...

I was baking bread while making dinner tonight...talk about praying to the kitchen remodeling gods to give me a bigger kitchen or at least a larger counter!

Anyway, here is the bread I made, flax seed rolls--hot out of the oven they were light and fluffy!

And dinner, my revenge attempt at okara hamburger patties. These came out really well this time. I realized the last time, that I had forgot to put in milk and put in too much okara.

So, here is the revised recipe: Okara Hamburger Patties Serves 2

150g minced pork or beef
100g okara (soy bean curd lees)
1/2 onion, minced
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
salt & pepper to taste
1 tablespoon mirin (sweet rice wine)
1 tablespoon salad oil
1.5 tablespoons margarine
50 ml kombu dashi (kelp stock)

Sauce:
50 ml chuno sauce (a mixture of tonkatsu & worcestershire sauces)
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons mirin (sweet rice wine)
1 tablespoon shoyu (soy sauce)
1 teaspoon sugar

1. Mince onion and put into bowl with meat and okara.
2. Add egg and milk, mix with hands.
3. Add salt and pepper.
4. Then add mirin and oil and mix well with hands.
5. Form into patties
6. Add margarine to heated pan and cook patties until golden brown.
7. Flip over and add stock to steam patties.
8. Add in sauce mixture and heat sauce with patties.
9. Enjoy!

NOTES: I don't buy margarine, so I used olive oil instead. Also, I used ground beef. I also used tonkatsu sauce (pork cutlet sauce) instead of chuno sauce (mixture of tonkatsu and worcestershire), if you can't find chuno or tonkatsu, use worcestershire. To top the patties I put some daikon oroshi (grated radish) with some chopped green onions.

I served them with some namasu (thinly sliced vegetables soaked in vinegar). The recipe is here.

NOTES: This time, I also added sliced cucumber and chopped wakame (a thin seaweed)

Hope your week is going well.

8 comments:

Brilynn said...

There's nothing better than the smell of baking bread.

K and S said...

Yes, the smell of baking bread is wonderful, isn't it? And you've been on such a baking spree! I think if I had a bigger oven, I probably would be turning out loaves like you.

Take care, Brilynn!

Kat

Anonymous said...

Wow! You go girl!! The flax seed rolls sound interesting as I've seen them at the store but never had the notion to try them in anything. Congrats on the success on the Okara patties...the pics (including the namasu) made me hungry!

K and S said...

Thanks Rowena! I have a stash of ground flax seed in my freezer that I've been adding to my bread dough. There is also a recipe on the package for flaxseed bran muffins, but I think that may go overboard with the fiber! Glad I made you hungry with my pics for a change ;)

Take care.

Kat

La Tartine Gourmande said...

Your buns are so cute and I just want them in MY kitchen!

K and S said...

Thanks Beatrice.

Take care.

Kat

Cindy Cochran said...

I'm going to try a recipe like this but with okara, venison, and some extra greens from my garden

K and S said...

hope it turns out nicely Cindy :)

Take care.
Kat