Monday, July 23, 2018

danshari

If you've been wondering what I've been up to.

I've been doing some danshari (purging)... and recently donated a lot of dishes to the JCCH (Japanese Culture Center of Hawaii).

Like my Mom's china.

Apparently, this set made by Meiyo China was often brought by Military Personnel when they returned from Japan.

I remember my relatives in Okinawa mentioning that they tried to visit my Dad when he was at Camp Schwab, but weren't allowed to because they were Okinawan and they didn't speak any English.

The day we brought the dishes to the JCCH, I was disappointed with the lack of enthusiasm we received from the volunteer there.

Still, I hope they will find new homes.

5 comments:

KirkK said...

That must have been somewhat bittersweet Kat. Not to mention the response from the JCCH.

jalna said...

Perfect place to donate your Japanese-themed items!

Rowena said...

how awful of the JCCH...I hope the at least said thank you.

alibaba37 said...

Boo about the enthusiasm, but I know those will find a wonderful home. Hugs to you, I'm sure this is difficult.

K and S said...

bittersweet indeed Kirk.

Thanks Jalna!

bummer yeah, Rowena?!

I hope so Alibaba37!

Take care everyone.
Kat