Sunday, July 22, 2018

dream cake

Found out through social media that all the St Germain bakeries and Dee Lite Bakeries will close in August.

If I'm not mistaken, they were the first Japanese style bakery in Hawaii.

My father loved chocolate and one cake that he enjoyed was dream cake.

The cake is airy, the frosting whipped light with chocolate shavings all over.

I recently bought a dream cake from Dee Lite Bakery, the cake was more of a spice cake, but still very airy.

Still, I think Dad would've enjoyed this one.

It's sad to see these icons in Hawaii culture disappear.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our family favorite was their strawberry cake. So light and with the perfect level of (Japanese) sweetness. We had our last one at our recent 4th of July get together. Still some other bakeries around but hate to lose another Hawaii icon.

Alan

jalna said...

Oooooh, Dream Cake is one of my favorites!

K and S said...

so true Alan!

so good yeah, Jalna!

Take care you two.
Kat

KirkK said...

All of these "old time" places seem to be closing Kat.

Vickie said...

I liked the dobash cake. Sad, it seems like every time I come back for a visit, my favorites are slowly going away. Guess it's time to make new memories.

Rowena said...

that really is a shock to hear but I wonder if someplace else will put out a similiar cake? can't do without dream cake!

K and S said...

I know Kirk...

ooh Vickie, I like dobash too. Hope you'll find new favorites the next time you are home.

Hope so Rowena!

Take care everyone.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Ted’s Bakery on the North Shore has a really good Chocolate Dream Cake and a Chantilly Cake. I really miss St Germaine’s Guava Cake.

K and S said...

Thanks Anon...I heard you gotta go out to the North Shore now to get their baked goods.

Take care!
Kat