Saturday, July 27, 2019

this week

This week was humid and hot...

Friday...I had been keeping pennies in this plastic bottle since 1989.

Since we have to get rid of things, I decided to bring in the pennies to the bank...well, 30 years later when I turned the bottle on its side, it cracked!

I'm glad it cracked at home and not at the bank!

It took me 4 to 5 (I can't remember) trips...the bank tellers knew who I was by the last trip...eep!

Thank goodness the bank counts it at no (5%) charge to members...I had $129 or so saved!

I brought some books to the library to be recycled.

Lunch was from The Elephant Shack in the Pearl Highlands Center.

The food court was renovated and it is a very nice space now.

I ordered the Yum Gai Yang...grilled marinated chicken tossed in fresh lime-cilantro jus w/ green papaya, grape tomato, cilantro, mint, lemon grass and shallots served w/ jasmine rice

So much food but so good! I had this for 2 meals.

I want to go back to try some other items on their menu.

Friday night I went to the Wahiawa Ryusenji Soto Mission Bon Dance with Aunty M.

Dinner was their hamburger curry rice bowl...comfort food!

And what would a bon dance be without andagi! 2 for $1!

Saturday, I moved my things into BFF's house.

She cleared a closet and dresser for me and has graciously allowed me to stay with her next time I'm in Hawaii.

I'll probably need to ride the bus to get around, or rent-a-car, but at least I'll still be in Pearl City.

Thanks W!

Lunch was at Big Kahuna's Pizza.

I ordered the Kanaka...kalua pork, bbq sauce and green onions...love their crust!

After lunch, we went to ChefZone.

Apparently Y.Hata, a large food supplier teamed up with ChefZone and moved from Sand Island to a huge warehouse near the airport.

In the past, I have gone to their Sand Island location with my mom which was kind of crampy (especially the parking!), she would've loved this new store.

Not too sure if their price is comparable to Costco's but I'm glad I was able to get a bigger size of Anahola granola for my breakfasts.

Saturday's dinner was breakfast at Pancakes and Waffles BLD...waffle, over medium eggs and portuguese sausage...It was nice having the whole place to ourselves (I think everyone was at home watching the Pacquio Thurman fight)

Sunday morning, my brother and I made a Paalaa Kai Bakery run.

Breakfast was their malasadas, love!

It was my brother's first time trying their malasadas and he is now a fan.

One thing we picked up was their custard pie for Sunday dinner.

The crust is junk, but the filling is nice and eggy.

Condo Update from Satoshi...it looks like it got even higher...boo!

Uncle H and Aunty V made a "late" night delivery to share some of their "gold" (mangoes) with us....thank you!

One thing the realtor mentioned to us was that counter tops should be cleared so that it shows buyers that you have enough storage space.

So, I deconstructed the shelving we had in my room and in another room.

I guess I am not too mechanical in the sense that when I took out a piece, the shelf came crashing down (on my foot!)

Needless to say, I had a bruise and some bleeding...and I also scared the "furry one" (and myself).

I'm sure the neighbors must've wondered what the heck was going on too.

Lunch on this day was Rainbow's chili fries.

I should've eaten it right then and there as the fries were soggy by the time I got home, but the chili was nice.

Thick with the right amount of spices.

It was my first time trying their chili and I'm glad it didn't disappoint.

I went through the linen closet one day (sorry I can't remember what day it was)

Found two table runners that I think my Grandma shishu-ed (embroidered)...One was this sakura (bummer there was a hole in it) and another was a peony...

And there were afghans that my mom crocheted and tons of towels.

The afghans, sheets, table cloths, runners and placemats went to the Salvation Army and the towels to the Humane Society.

Malia has been hanging out on top of the piano...probably because it is cooler there...probably because the house is upside down and her favorite spots to sit have been invaded by stuff to be purged.

I have this app called Yurekuru.

It tells me when the earthquakes in Japan are coming.

Well, when you are in Hawaii, it will still tell you when the earthquakes in Japan are coming.

So, it scared me one day...

I facetimed with Satoshi (since he didn't answer my email) and of course, he hadn't felt a thing...sigh, at least he was safe, right?!

Thursday, Uncle H came by to pick up my mom's orchid plants.

Aunty V adopted them....

I am relieved...thank you!

After dropping off towels at the Humane Society, I picked up a Meat Jun & Kalbi plate from Gina's Barbeque for dinner...the choi sum was hard like it wasn't cooked long enough and the kim chee was hard too like it wasn't soaked long enough.

Still, there is more than enough food for 2 meals...

Lunch on Thursday was from Musubi Iyasume at Ala Moana's Lanai (food court near Macy's)...I tried their konbu musubi bento.

1st musubi to have "stuff" in almost every bite!

I would get this again.

I don't usually like the musubi in Japan because the filling is usually only in the first bite, not to mention the rice is sometimes hardened from the refrigeration...

And rounding out Thursday...we finally got rain...lots of it! whoo! which also brought this awesome rainbow.

So, basically that is what my week was like. There are more photos with descriptions here if you are interested.

Have a nice weekend.

The Elephant Shack (UPDATE : 2022 no longer at this address)
1000 Kamehameha Highway
Pearl City, Hawaii
Hours: 11:00-21:00 (19:00 Sundays)

6 comments:

KirkK said...

You're making a lot of progress Kat! Hope the knee is holding out ok. It's been years since I've been to a Bon Dance too. Glad you are making time to enjoy things.

Anonymous said...

kind of makes me tear up looking at these pictures. the sakura runner is so pretty. the food looks so yummy
v

Anonymous said...

Howdy,

OMG, I took a pic of the rainbow when I got home from work too!!! Great minds think alike. It was such a perfectly shaped and bright, full double rainbow.

Wen

K and S said...

Thanks Kirk :)

Aw V!

Cool Wen! It really was perfect.

Take care everyone.
Kat

Vickie said...

Loved the additional pictures. Especially the furry one :) What a great way to "keep" your memories when you are donating or giving things away. I wish I had thought of that when we cleaned my mom's house to sell about four years ago. Too much stuff to bring back to my home, just relying on my memories now.

K and S said...

Thanks Vickie, I hope your transition was a smooth one. It is a difficult part of life.

Take care!
Kat