Friday, February 23, 2007

poke stop

Back in November, I got an e-mail from a guy named Nate. He was from Hawaii, but worked in Okinawa. He wanted to find out more about starting a blog as well as how to blog. So after giving him some advice, he started his blog, HWN PAKE IN OKINAWA. Today, I got to meet him for the first time and to lunch with him.

We met at a place that he's been wanting to try...Poke Stop. This restaurant is owned by Elmer Gusman, a guy who used to cook with greats such as Emeril, Alan Wong and Sam Choy.

The shop was rather tiny, but the menu was quite large, so it was definitely hard to decide. The eating area is outside, so try not to go on a windy day! (or be prepared to hold down your food while you eat!)

Nate had their Surf & Turf (US $9.42)--boneless korean style short ribs, with their garlic jumbo shrimp, 1 scoop of rice and Puna's potato salad. He liked this except the meat wasn't too tender.

I had their Deconstructed Sushi Bowl (US $10.42)--Cajun seasoned blackened ahi(tuna), kim chee style tako (octopus), creamy chili aioli remoulade mixed with ahi (tuna) poke, a large scoop of tobiko(flying fish roe) and a garlic shrimp all on top of sushi rice, topped with furikake and ginger--though eating the shrimp was a bit messy, this dish was worth every penny!

It was nice having lunch with my blogging friend and to have finally met face to face.

Poke Stop
Waipahu Town Center
94-050 Farrington Hwy.
Phone: 808.676.8100
Open everyday:
M-S 8-7
Su 8-5

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am just salivating over the pic enlargement of your deconstructed sushi as I type this.

oh.my.god.

Monika Korngut said...

Hi! I just found your blog and loved the name. My husband and I recently returned from our first trip to Japan and we fell in love with the country and its people. We were there for only 10 days but I wish I knew about you and checked out your suggestions for dinning.

I will be visiting soon your site again,

All the best,
Monika Korngut

K and S said...

It was delicious, Rowena, definitely something to re-create!

Thanks for stopping by, Monika!

Take care you two.
Kat

2kamuela47 said...

Wow what great dishes! Have a great weekend and more foodie finds! Take care!