Saturday, February 03, 2007

we're jammin' (actually jellin')

Yeah! the comments are back in motion...thanks Blogger!

Remember when I showed you the photo of the strawberry-guava?

Well, since then, my Aunty has picked several bags from the 2 trees near her house. My aunty cleaned most of them and then froze them, then passed along these frozen guava to my mom--the jelly maker in our family.

Yesterday, mom put the frozen guava into a pot to simmer for about 30 minutes to get out all the juice.

After the 30 minutes were up and everything was bubbling and smelling good, she put everything to strain on a sieve. (You are supposed to hang it in some cheesecloth to let the juices drip out, but she said she did it the "lazy way").

She got this much juice from one batch and repeated the process several times to fill up 1 and 1/4 gallons.

The next process will take place later (hopefully while I'm still here in Hawaii) so after the juice cooled, she put these containers into the freezer.

Stay tuned...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had not seen this fruit before! Quite interesting! Makes me want to be in Hawai.

2kamuela47 said...

Cool Kat! Strawberry Guava jam is one of my favorites next to regular guava and lilikoi. Some times if you are lucky you can find lilikoi butter at some speciality stores and of course craft fairs!

Hope you are still in Hawaii to see the finished product. Have a great weekend!

OkiHwn said...

Have a strawberry guava tree in my front yard at home - it's a buffet for all the meijiros in the neighborhood when the fruit ripen. Also the meijiros nest in the piree mango tree in my backyard and partake of the mangoes when they ripen. Have to be quick to beat them to what I consider is the best mango.

K and S said...

Come on over, Bea! :)

ooh, I'll have to keep my eye out for the lilikoi stuff, Laura!

I'm so jealous that you have a mango tree, Nate! Do you make pickled mango too?

Take care everyone!
Kat

OkiHwn said...

Week to week and a half, at the most two weeks, then home. Very anxious! But shucks, not mango season. Piree mangoes or what I have is called Chinese white piree is delicious just before fully ripe, still firm and oh sooo sweet! In that way beat the mejiros. But during the season have to check every day or the mejiros will eat their fill!

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what that fruit is, but sounds sweet. I want to try some. Is the jam only available in Hawaii?

K and S said...

You must be super excited to come home, Nate! I'm gonna miss mango season here!

Sue, you could probably order off the internet, but I think buying it while in Hawaii would probably be the best way--sometimes you can taste before buying :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Ooo, sounds deliciously exciting! And so glad to see your comments are working again. :)


Ari (Baking and Books)

Brilynn said...

That could possibly turn out to be one of the best jams ever!

K and S said...

I'm glad the comments are back too, Ari.

This jelly is the best in my book, Brilynn!

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

I have never tasted guava! This jelly sounds so good, Kat!

Jann said...

Wow , what fun you must have had making this-one of my favorite fruits! Save me some jam!!!

K and S said...

OMG Ivonne, peanut butter with guava jelly is the best sandwiches ever!

I'm not doing any of the work, Jann, my mom is :)

Take care!
Kat