Tuesday, February 20, 2007

local foodie kind of weekend

Saturday, we checked out the Farmer's Market at KCC (Kapiolani Community College). There were all sorts of food items as well as potted plants and cut flowers. One item which I purchased was made by a local company called Honolulu Fudge Sauce Company. They have several different flavors mostly made with Guittard chocolates, but the one that caught my eye was their Premium Hawaiian made from 100% Hawaiian chocolate grown on the Big Island. With a name like "Spoonalicious" you know it has to be good!

Another item which I picked up was locally made honey. There is a co-op (which I didn't know about) called the Hawaiian Honeybee Co-op which makes different kinds of honeys in different parts of the islands. This particular honey was made in Enchanted Lakes (Kailua, Oahu) from a variety of flowers.

Sunday was the start of the Chinese New Year, to which you should greet others saying "Kung Hee Fat Choy" or "Happy New Year". It is the year of the Boar and a Golden Boar at that, which supposedly only comes around every 600 years! It is supposed to be a very lucky year, but also one for many natural disasters, so please be careful everyone!

I also got together with two of my friends, Wen & Steph for some shopping and noshing. It was a great time. At one of the shopping malls we went to, I searched for the Sahale Snacks, but still haven't found any :( Oh well, I guess I'll just enjoy the one flavor (Sing Buri) that I did find.

Next year or maybe at the end of this year, Whole Foods Market will be opening here, so I'm looking forward to more foodie finds on my next trip back home.

Monday was President's Day--a State & Federal holiday here. We got together with some of my relatives for dinner and a kanikapila (playing the ukelele (hawaiian musical instrument) and singing). It was great!

And lastly, today is Fat Tuesday and Mardi Gras--the day before Lent in which rich ingredients such as flour, eggs and milk are supposed to be used up.

Even though my religion does not observe Lent, it gave me a good excuse to get some of my favorite--Champion Malasadas.

Hope you have a great week!

8 comments:

2kamuela47 said...

It's Mardi Gras time! Just love your foodie adventures can't wait to hear more! It's Fat Tuesday and I have to find Malasadas some where...hum I think I saw a one of those Leonards Jrs! Kung Hee Fat Choy too! Thanks Kat for sharing I am so glad you are having so much FUN!

K and S said...

Hope you can get some malasadas, Laura!

Take care!
Kat

Brilynn said...

The name spoonalicious is marketing genius!
Everything looks great.

K and S said...

Isn't it?

Thanks for stopping by, Brilynn!

Take care.
Kat

Monkey Wrangler said...

Beginning of Lent or not, I'll be indulging in a big fat fluffy doughnut today! There was a miniature and VERY local Mardi Gras "parade" that made it's way through the Berkeley Farmer's Market last night, but no doughnuts. Your post reminded me of being on the Big Island two years ago and sampling (Okay, gorging) on Malasadas at Tex's Drive-In on Highway 19 near Honoka'a. Thank you soooo much for the reminder.

K and S said...

Hope you can get you hands on some doughnuts (or malasadas) D-man! I'll have to check out Tex's Drive Inn in Honoka'a the next time I go to the Big Island, I've heard good things about them.

Take care!
Kat

Jann said...

I LOVE these dougnuts-they are huge!

K and S said...

Jann,

These doughnuts are huge, fluffy...delicious!

Take care.
Kat