Monday, January 07, 2008

nanakusakayu

It's that time of year in Japan for us to eat our Nanakusakayu which I've posted about previously.

I've always bought the o-kayu (rice porridge) pre-made in ready to boil bags, but this year forgot to buy some, so I ended up making it in my rice cooker.

I made 2 cups of rice, not realizing that 2 cups makes a LOT...sigh.

Eating Nanakusakyu not only is a way for the Japanese to hope for a healthy year, but it is also a good way to ease your stomach after eating rich foods during the New Year holidays.

Most of the Nanakusa was eaten today, but there is still lots of o-kayu. Guess we'll be having a variation of this for the next couple of breakfasts.

Have a nice week!

8 comments:

Kathy YL Chan said...

OooOooo, it is jook weather here! I think I'll make a batch for dinner tomorrow! I like eating it plain with a side of fried tofu and shoyu! :)

K and S said...

mmm, jook sounds delicious. it is quite gloomy, rainy and cold here as well.

Take care Kathy!
Kat

Monique said...

Yummy! Porridge, congee, jook, whatever you call it! hehe One of my favourite breakie meal, but no restaurants make it good here... I miss those specialty jook shops in Toronto and HK!

K and S said...

Thanks Monique! Hope you can get your jook fix soon :)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Nanakusakyu is probably what I could have used after the big New Year's Eve Stuff-Your-Face dinner. I actually got sick from eating too much.

Catching up on your posts, I'm glad to see that Alan is posting again. I thought he had given up! Oh, and one more thing...thanks for the xmas greeting (that you had sent to Kauai!) My boss was kind enough to snap a pic with his cellphone and send it to me. I'm not heading that way this year unfortunately. :-(

OkiHwn said...

Heehee! You should have asked me. I make my jook (or okayu) with 1/2 cup rice and 6 cups water. That's the proportions my mother taught me.

K and S said...

I know you weren't going home this year, Rowena, but you had also mentioned that the Italian postal service was kind of iffy, so I figured that Kauai was the best place to send it :)

Now, I know not to make 2 cups of rice, Nate...had to learn the hard way...thanks though!

Take care you two.
Kat

K and S said...

Thanks Jenndz, it was quite good, though I wish I hadn't made the mistake of making so much!

Take care.
Kat