Sunday, October 18, 2009

hokulani's

Well, it has been a week since I've been back. Grandma is up and around. She uses her cane, when she remembers to (she's never had the need to use one up until now, so this is a good sign that she doesn't really need one.) We have been taking turns staying with her at night, but will try to let her stay by herself after this coming week.

Since I still have to eat...this is just a little round-up of what I've been eating...

From our neighbors...these bambucha (huge) avocados...These actually "fell" into our yard like a bomb...SPLAT! from tip to end they are about 6 inches long! creamy and delicious. (Thank you!) Can you believe the ginormous tree grew from a single avocado seed planted over 20 years ago?

A lunch of 3 crispy tacos with guacamole from Diego's....US$4.50+tax. More than the tacos, which were really dry, I enjoyed the homemade guacamole and homemade salsa. If there is one thing I miss in Japan is Mexican/Tex-Mex food. UPDATE: as of 3/2012, this place has closed

Lunch with my Aunty M at Ryan's. Satoshi and I used eat here often, loving their appetizers and frozen li hing margaritas.

My aunty and I shared the mango stacked salad (refreshing!), buffalo wings (spicy!) and their sweet potato fries (loved their BBQ aioli!). I'm sure if it were happy hour, my Aunty and I may have had some of their reknown mojitos...(Thank you for lunch Aunty!)

Hokulani's Red Velvet Cupcakes...4 for US$10...bought at the New Food and Product Show...Aunty M and I thought there were way more products than food.

They seemed smaller than the ones I picked up from Cake Couture. I guess these cupcakes were sitting out for awhile...the parts that weren't frosted were dry and the cream cheese frosting had a hard shell to them and seemed a bit greasy....meh!

My Dad, who is a man of few words, said they were okay, but he wouldn't have spent $2.50 for it. I guess it was good that we got to try them, will we go back? probably not.

What have you been eating lately?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy your grandmother is on her feet now.

I'm funny about cupcakes. I wouldn't think twice about paying a decent amount for a nicely-decorated whole cake, but I look at a cupcake and think it's not worth it, just because it's smaller and you literally get only one serving from it. Plus (ducking for cover), I've had the same experience with the cupcakes you tried and your experience wasn't a fluke.

Lori said...

Hi Kat,
I'm finally able to catch up on some of my blog reading now - it's been too long! Glad to hear your grandma is back up and around, I hope she continues to feel better. What have I been eating lately? Mangoes and sushi. :)

2kamuela47 said...

Hope your Grandma gets better. Yummy...Red Velvet cupcakes. I still haven't gone to Diego's. I have to try some time soon! Take care and God Bless!

Rowena said...

This must be the Ryan's where you and Satoshi had your first meal? You definitely are eating great Tex-Mex grindz!

K and S said...

Thanks Anon for agreeing with me on those cupcakes :)

mmm sushi and mangoes sounds good, Lori :)

Thanks Laura, hope you get some Diego's soon :)

Eh, you remembered Rowena :)

Take care everyone!
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Yep--I told you Cake Couture is the way to go with cupcakes . ;-) You have pretty much the same feedback I do on the Hokulani ones--although they have their fans too.

Those avocados are huge.

It looks like you are eating well so far. ;-)

K and S said...

I think we have similar tastes when it comes to food, Debinhawaii :)

Take care.
Kat

Barbara said...

It looks like you are having a nice time in Hawaii Kat.

Suze said...

Glad to hear that your grandma is doing so well. :) That's a huge avocado...yum. I contemplated buying some at the market today...reading your post makes me wish I had. :)

K and S said...

Thank you Barbara, I'm trying to :)

Thank you Suze, I hope you get some avocados the next time you are at the market!

Take care you two.
Kat