Tuesday, December 27, 2005

lox & bread

Today, my friend gave me some smoked salmon and canned salmon that her husband caught (Thank you!!). He fishes for sport and also owns many fishing supply stores around Osaka.

Most of his stores are called "Esaichiban". I think it might mean "the No. 1 lures".

He caught the salmon in Vancouver at a place called, the Langara Fishing Lodge.

They canned and smoked it for him. Since the salmon is frozen, it will take probably a day or so to thaw out.

In the meantime, I decided to go to buy some bagels or baguette to eat our "lox" with. I went to Makiochi (2 stations away from us).

I read on a website that a favorite bread shop of mine had moved from Esaka to Makiochi recently. The name of the bread shop is "A Bientot" (I think it means "See you again!" in French). They mostly have crusty type French breads, but I really enjoy their scones and sandwiches.

(I ended up buying a bit more than I needed). The narrow bread is the baguette (it had just come out of the oven and was crackling). The bread in the foreground caught my interest, it is a campagne (farmhouse bread) with cranberries and lavender in it. The one that looks like a pizza is a fougasse (french type foccacia) with eggplant, broccoli, ham and potato and cheese on it. And a baguette sandwich with marinated chicken, mozzarella cheese, tomato and basil.

I can't wait to try the smoked salmon and am thinking to make salmon patties or tofu salad with the canned salmon.

A bientot
3-11-2 Makiochi
Minoo, Osaka
Phone: 072.725.8060
*Not sure of the days of operation, so call to make sure before you go!!

No comments: