Saturday, August 13, 2011

antonio's pizza

My Flickr friend, Rex, told me about Antonio's Pizza, BFF, had been wanting to try it too, so the other day, I met her at her workplace and we went to check out this place.

When you walk in it is pretty dark, no air of any kind is on, your face feels like you may have a fever, it's that hot in there.

The guy at the counter, more concerned about eating his McDonald's meal and playing his Play Station games on the big screen television than taking your order, sits and stares at you like, "well?!".

No "hi how are you?", "is it your first time here?", "let me recommend...", New York attitude?! maybe.

There is no menu posted anywhere, so grab the take-out menu sitting on the counter and look it over.

BFF ordered the 9-inch with pepperoni, tomato and spinach.

I ordered the 9-inch with sausage, olive and onion.

With soft drink, our bills both came out to US$7.64 tax included.

The crust was a bit on the hard side, with lots of cornmeal around the edges.

And the cheese was oozy, but we think the sauce was really salty because after we finished, we felt like we had licked some sandpaper or something...blah!

I'm glad we tried this place, but both of us agreed, there is definitely better pizza out there.

Antonio's Pizza (UPDATE: as of 2013 this shop not in business)
4210 Waialae Avenue
Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone: 808.737.3333

13 comments:

Jessica said...

Sorry to hear about your bad pizza experience. When I was living there, I liked Bostons North End Pizza (now called Kaimuki's Boston Style Pizza?) on Waialae and 10th. I always remembered the food to be good, and, a bonus: it's across the street from Tamura's, the best wine shop on the island.

K and S said...

yes I like Boston's Jessica. I've never tried the one in Kaimuki, but I like the fact it is across from Tamura's they have the best wine selection!

Take care.
Kat

jalna said...

Me and Wendell tried them once, but I don't have any memories, good or bad, about it. Must've been just okay for us.

Unknown said...

they have horrible customer service there! we just went last week and the girl at the counter didn't even acknowledge us or even look up at all. we just left cause it wasn't worth it to feel like we were interrupting her.

whole food pizza right across the street!

K and S said...

must've been Jalna!

thanks **rk** will have to try whole foods pizza next time :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Japan Australia said...

Pizza is something I was really hanging out to eat today. I managed to compromise and ordered a pizza topped steak pie. It wasn't too bad and loved the crunchy cheese topping :)

Japan Australia

OkiHwn said...

Hey...next to Lam's!

My favorite at Boston's...spinach, garlic and anchovies with the white sauce!

goob said...

Try V-Lounge Pizza, best neapolitan stle pizza!! You must order the prima -- prosciuttoa, ali'i mushrooms, runny egg and truffle oil!

K and S said...

glad you got your pizza fix J-A!

yeah, next to Lam's Nate!

I've heard good things about that place nami*chan! Will have to check it out next time I'm home.

Take care everyone!
Kat

Rowena said...

playing his PS???? Shmuck.

K and S said...

we ate there and now we can cross it off our lists, Rowena, never to go back again.

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

I had a piece of their sausage and mushroom at a party once and liked it fine--but not near enough to put up with that kind of service. :-(

K and S said...

service was bad Deb, definitely take out if you ever go here!

Take care.
Kat