Sunday, August 14, 2011

tango market

The thing about travelling in Hawaii is that I don't have cell phone service, I'm off the grid so to speak.

Can you believe my carrier wants to charge me nearly US$20 a day for me to use the phone in Hawaii just for roaming? And that isn't covering any data charges, or call charges, that is a totally different story.

Anyway, I was supposed to meet a friend at Tango Market at Ward Centre for lunch. The time came and went and she never showed.

I had a feeling she may have gone to the other Tango which is next to PF Chang's about half a block away from where I was.

And I guess I could've walked down to the other place, but in the back of my mind, I was worried that she would show up where we had talked about meeting and then I wouldn't be there.

So I stayed put, I ordered lunch, hoping she would show and ended up eating by myself.

I had the duck confit quesadilla stuffed with lots of goat cheese, corn, avocado and salsa. It came with mixed greens or pasta salad, I chose mixed greens.

With an unsweetened passion fruit iced tea my total came out to US$12.83 tax included.

I enjoyed this but would have loved it if everything was evenly distributed. The goat cheese (pretty sure it was goat cheese) was an overpowering ratio to everything else so I'm glad I chose the mixed greens to break the monotony of the quesadilla.

Bummed about not meeting up with my friend, who I found out later was at the other location, but I'm glad I got to check this place out...I'd definitely go back, hopefully next time with her.

Tango Market (UPDATE: 2014 this location closed)
Ward Centre
Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone: 808.596.4888

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suggest buying a prepaid phone card (Verizon, T-Mobile etc.) and use it only in Hawaii. The only problem is that it doesn't work with iPhone (which, I guess, you have). If you have an older cell phone you don't use, this could be a good solution.:)

Sandy

Dennis K. said...

Wow a quesadilla stuffed with goat cheese sounds amazing! I know what you mean about the international roaming charges. I've heard horror stories of people with their iPhones. I took with me home last December but was too afraid to use it! haha

K and S said...

Thanks Sandy, good tips :)

horror stories is the word Dennis!

Take care you two!
Kat

Unknown said...

Kat that's too bad. I really think you should try switching your iPhone to airplane mode then turning on wifi and using open wifi hotspots. I'm pretty sure Tango Market has wifi. I really don't think your carrier can bill you if you're using wifi because you aren't using their service. It'll be just like you're carrying around an iPod Touch.

Rowena said...

Better than that dang pizza the other day!

Anonymous said...

I tried their bay shrimp salad sandwich on a croissant and liked it a lot. The croissant was kind of rich with a mayo-based filling, but I didn't really know what other kind of bread would be soft enough to match the shrimp filling. I ate the sandwich swaddling in a couple of napkins and my hands still got oily. They also have a Friday night barbecue which I would love to hear your take on (with lots of yummy pictures). Enjoy the rest of your stay here, Kat!

Japan Australia said...

That is one fancy quesadilla. I have to try making one next time with goat's cheese :)

Japan Australia

Anonymous said...

Another idea might be to use the public phone and call your freinds cell. Or even calling the other location using the markets phone ?

The prepaid idea is a great one, you can get a very inexpensive phone at walmart from various carriers, many of which can be as low as $10, and buy whatever time you need.

K and S said...

I tried using wifi in Waikiki Rick and it went on, but I couldn't get access to internet :(

so true Rowena!

I saw that BBQ night Anon, my time is numbered here so I'll have to check it out next time, thanks for the tip though!

hope your version is more balance J-A!

Thanks for the info Anon!

Take care everyone!
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

I have had some good salads and sandwiches at Tango (breakfasts too), but I have not tried their second location. Too bad you missed your friend.

K said...

My friends and I were just talking about how life was pre-cell phones, it was a big commitment to make plans and stick with them!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I just enjoyed looking at your food Kat... I wish I can visit you while you are in Osaka AND Hawaii. You know where to eat! ;-)

K and S said...

I hope to catch-up with her next year Deb!

so true K!

aw thanks Nami!

Take care everyone.
Kat