Monday, February 05, 2018

david lebovitz's venetian style sardines

Last night I made an adapted batch of David Lebovitz's venetian style sardines, which can be found in "The Sweet Life in Paris".

His version directs you to fry the fresh sardines, but of course, I took the easy way out using canned and sauteed them in the marinade.

The portions I used are below: makes about 2 servings

2 tins canned sardines packed in oil (about 70 grams each can)
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon olive oil

marinade
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sake (rice wine)
chili pepper flakes

handful of dried cherries
handful of pine nuts, toasted

In a frying pan, heat the olive oil and saute the onions until soft
Add the sardines with the packing oil
When the fish is heated through, add the marinade and cherries
Top with pine nuts before serving
Serve with crusty bread

NOTES: I didn't want to fry or go through having to clean the fresh sardines, so I used canned.

Our tinned sardines are quite teeny, so I used 2 cans.

His recipe called for golden raisins but I didn't have any and didn't want to buy, so I just used some dried cherries that I had in the freezer.

Next time I will use the packing oil of only 1 tin.

We enjoyed this...sweet and sour.

Crusty baguette was also nice to mop up all the juices.

I'm definitely thinking about making this again!

3 comments:

KirkK said...

A nice baguette does sound the perfect accompaniment to this dish Kat.

Rowena said...

it's like sarde in saor (should've guessed it being venetian-style), but the addition of dried cherries make it sound even better; gotta try.

K and S said...

Thanks Kirk :)

Rowena, I was too lazy and cheap to go out and buy golden raisins and just wanted to use stuff I already had on hand, since it was gonna be agrodolce (sweet sour), I thought the cherries would work :)

Take care you two!
Kat