Thursday, February 01, 2018

meishi

In Japan, many businessmen have meishi (calling cards).

The calling cards help to know what "status"/"rank" the person you are meeting with is.

Recently Satoshi went to a seminar during his lunch break.

The man was a small business farmer in Kyoto and his calling card was this (photo above).

300 grams of rice, grown by him.

I thought it was very innovative.

I like that he uses organic fertilizers and sells directly to his customers.

Most rice goes through brokers which in recent years has had some problems with LYING about the types of rice actually being sold.

We've been supporting Kumamoto prefecture (cute packaging, yeah?!) to help them rebuild after their earthquakes, but this rice came through a broker...

After we finish the rice from Kumamoto, I'll probably purchase some rice from this farmer to support small business.

7 comments:

KirkK said...

That is such an awesome "card" Kat! So unique.....you'd definitely not forget him.

K and S said...

really unique, Kirk :)

Take care!
Kat

Rowena said...

I think it's really clever, but about the lying bit...is there nothing truthful anymore? I'm watching a series called Rotten and shocked to learn that some honey can be a product "cut" with rice syrup and traced back to China. I checked the label on honey in my pantry (which I thought was Italian) and read origin of source: Hungary. grrrr....

jalna said...

I love it!!

K and S said...

that is so wrong with the lying Rowena, that series sounds interesting and good to know!

Jalna, cool yeah?!

Take care you two.
Kat

Kal said...

Cute packaging indeed, but yeah, let's support local economy whenever we can. You are doing a very good thing :)

K and S said...

Thanks Kal!

Take care.
Kat