Wednesday, April 22, 2020

oh em gee

Wednesday I went to the market to pick up groceries for the week.

I can't believe that people still don't know about "social distancing".

The market I go to is teeny and they have put "footprints" on the floor as to where to wait for your turn to pay.

A woman asked if I was standing in line for the check-out, I said I was (I was on top of a "footprint").

And because there was a "gap" between me and the woman in front of me, she told me, "why aren't you moving up then?"...grrr

The element on my oven is adjustable (it can be lowered or raised), these days though if the element is lowered the chances it will be able to return to the top position is very iffy (the oven is nearing 20 years).

While toasting some rolls the other day, the element came down suddenly, burning the top of the roll.

Stupidly, I used pot holders to try to push the element back up...(sorry if I got these pot holders from you...)

Which also charred "that finger"...ow...glad it wasn't more serious of a burn.

It's been 6 weeks since I started making blood orange infused vodka.

Super fragrant and I love the color.

I couldn't add as many peels as I wanted to because every time I added some peel, the amount of vodka inched up to the top of the bottle, so I only added about 2 oranges worth for 350 milliliters of vodka.

Over the weekend, I made us some vodka spritzers...50 milliliters of the vodka, ice and carbonated water...delicious!

Will make muffins with the peel after we finish drinking the vodka.

Friday the area for the state of emergency was widened to all of Japan.

Unfortunately most believe that being outside is "okay", what they do not realize is by doing this, they are creating crowds.

Some stores are getting smarter about "social distancing" but others aren't.

Many have cut their operation hours back to keep their employees safe.

The other day, the woman at the post office counter told me that the mail going to foreign countries are not going as frequently as before...I was told that my condolence envelope to my cousin's family may take awhile...like at surface mail speed...eep!

The Japanese government is giving each household 2 washable masks...we are waiting to receive them.

Today is Earth Day.

And while we all cannot get out and about freely to bond with nature, I hope we all will be able to soon.

Hope you are all keeping positive and zen.

Please take care.

6 comments:

KirkK said...

Ooooh that finger...ouch! Take care Kat....hope folks get with the social distancing thing.

Anonymous said...

sorry about your kitchen mishap, hope both you and your oven are ok. I must tell you, when you first IG'd about this, I thought your picture of your owwweee was more of a one finger salute to the situation Ahahaha.

I must also admit that sometimes, I'm guilty of violating the 6 ft rule. It does make thing easier when place say a shopping cart length between people or there are lines/footprints on the floor. I fail mostly when looking for items down the aisles because I'm focused on getting what I want and getting out and not too conscious of people who might be looking at the same thing or next one over.

And these banks that have closed so many branches so more people go the the open ones and there is no accommodation for having to stand in lines in hot sun or rain because only 5 people can be in there.

I'm sure you hear we got our lockdown extended to end of May. Even though we knew it was almost certain, still was so upsetting. And I'm considered essential worker. I cannot imagine how the laid off, families with school age children can cope with this.

It must be working because our new infection rate has gone dramatically down, but also wonder if that is a function of not testing everyone too.
v

jalna said...

I'm intrigued by your vodka!

Rowena said...

happy earth day! and a good grief on the lady that wanted you to mov up...some people just.don't.get.it! we received masks in the mail too, but since they're more comfortable for MotH, I'll take the smaller/tighter ones that he got from work. hang in there you guys; it'll be over soon enough.

K said...

I hope your finger is ok! And it's gotten better here (Maryland) but there's definitely still people skirting the rules, very annoying!

K and S said...

Thanks Kirk, I hope they get this social distancing thing too.

lol V...I saw something that California's numbers were 50 times higher or something krazy like that...wow!

Jalna, it is the same way I made vanilla extract :)

Rowena, just saw on the news that we might not receive our masks right away because some had mold and discolorations on them...WTF?! hope you guys are hanging in there!

K, my finger is fine :) thanks! hope you are doing well too.

Take care everyone.
Kat