Wednesday, September 02, 2020

korinki


Came across this squash called Korinki.

At first, I thought it might be called an Acorn Squash in English, but upon researching, I found out it is a relative of Red Kuri Squash.

It is teeny about the size of a baseball.


The outer peel was not as thick as squash and the seeds inside were more like a cucumber, which is why most Japanese recipes online use this to make pickles or use it raw in salads.
I put half of it into our green curry last night and plan to make pickles with the other half.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds good. Did it taste like kuri or is it just because of the shape?
I just saw Starbucks Japan is bringing out a kuri chocolate drink. Sure miss the kuri!
My only resort now is to buy the kuri gohan mix in the Japanese stores here but they don't put enough kuri!
v

Rowena said...

oooh...this is new to me, and perfect size too for 1 or 2 servings.

K and S said...

V, it didn't taste like kuri, I think they call it kuri because of the shape.

Rowena, I agree it is a nice size to "just try".

Take care you two.
Kat

KirkK said...

Looks good KAt! Red Kuri's are delicious, so this must be good.

K and S said...

thanks Kirk :)

Take care!
Kat