Sunday, October 08, 2006

macaron, macaron...macarons!

The weather was awful on Friday. A typhoon was passing over the Pacific Ocean side of Japan. Heavy winds and rains started from Thursday night. Luckily, I was able to get to Tokyo safely. Unfortunately though, I had to cut my plans drastically, because of the weather. I ended up shopping at stores within minutes from subway stations or in the underground shopping arcades. Not to mention, I totally bruised my bum and ego by hydroplaning and falling on the steps as I left La Maison du Chocolat! At least I didn't hit my head or smash anything that I had bought...

I was able to get quite a bit of goodies despite the change in plans and the weather...I'm breaking this post into 2 parts because there is a LOT to tell.

Sadaharu Aoki: orange=caramel sel (salted caramel ganache), brown = peche (cinnamon shell with peach cream), pink = ume (pickled plum ganache with roasted sesame seeds on the outside), yellow= citron (lemon ganache), lt. purple = sumire (violet flavored ganache). These were very different and interesting flavors, but very good. I also got a florentine naturale (a brittle like cookie) and orange chocolat noir (a candied orange dipped in dark chocolate) which are waiting to be tried.

Dalloyau: Coconut on the outside (Ananas= coconut macaron with pineapple ganache), Beige with black spots (The peche= peach flavored ganache with earl grey macaron), Orange= Orange macaron with orange flavored ganache, Green/orange (Orange Potiron= orange with pumpkin ganache mixed with 4 different spices like pepper and cinnamon). I really enjoyed the Earl Grey flavored one.

Decadence du Chocolat: brown= lavender/chocolate ganache, white = grenoble (vanilla with walnuts ganache), green = pistachio ganache, lt brown = praline ganache, yellow= passion fruit ganache, brown= caramel ganache. The lavender one was very nice and not too overpowering.

02 Patisserie:light purple= cassis ganache, pink= fig ganache, white=jasmine tea ganache, dk brown= dark chocolate ganache, beige= coffee ganache. The beige was was really pretty too--it had gold fairy dust on the outside. The fig ganache kind of reminded me of fig newtons.

Jean-Paul Hevin: I was kind of disappointed with these...sorry, I couldn't tell what flavor was what on these: bitter chocolate ganache, vanilla ganache, coffee ganache, orange/passion fruit ganache, honey ganache, rose ganache, framboise (raspberry) ganache, pistachio ganache, caramel/bitter chocolate ganache.



Pierre Herme: white= vanilla ganache, pink=rose ganache, yellow = lemon ganache, green=huile d'olive et vanille (olive oil, vanilla beans & white chocolate ganache), orange= arabesque(peach cream with pistachios on the outside), lt brown= caramel with fleur de sel cream, brown = marron (chestnut) ganache, dk brown with cocoa powder = bitter chocolate ganache, yellow with cocoa powder = mogador (passion fruit flavored milk chocolate ganache), lt brown with cocoa powder = plentitude (half caramel with fleur de sel shell, half chocolate with a chocolate ganache. The olive oil one had a salty olive taste to it, but the others were excellent.

I'm definitely in love with these cute goodies...Stay tuned to what other goodies were found.

9 comments:

bourgogne said...

" macaron, macaron...macarons!"

you're speaking my language. omg yum.

Anonymous said...

"Jealous" can't adequately describe how I feel....nyeerrrrgh! I so so so so SO wish I could reach through my computer screen right now!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, you got a lot accomplished! I can't believe you managed to get to so many places despite the unbelivably crappy weather on Friday! Great! Wow wow, you are speaking my language also, and the pictures speak even more fluently! Fabulous!

K and S said...

Hi Bourgogne,
These were all so very good!

Hi Ellie,
Anytime you come this way, let me know...we can do something like this together!

Hi TM,
Yes, the weather was crappy! I can't believe how much I could find with all that rain and wind! Next time, we'll have to get together for sure!

Take care everyone!

Kat

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! your adventure is awesome!!
These macarons!!!

Also, I will drawn up your list and visit these shops someday.
Thanks!
End enjoy your macaron!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! It's like Christmas Day! I love everything you bought and wish I could try it all ...

K and S said...

Thanks Aya, please check these places out. I'm sure you will enjoy them.

Hi Ivonne, these were better than Christmas Day :)

Take care you two!

Kat

Anonymous said...

I am definitely bookmarking this. If EVER I get to Tokyo, this post will be my guide!

K and S said...

Hi Rowena,

Let me know if you ever go to Tokyo, maybe I can meet you and take you around:)

Kat